Adjusting 2speed Vortice Extractor

YourDrooganLeader

can anyone answer this or point me toward a previous thread???

i got a 2 speed vortice extractor which is currently wired up to run on full speed.

i would like to automatcally switch the extractor to its lower speed setting when the lights go out.

the lights are both switched via an IKON 6way 3600w timer/contactor.

am i better switching the fan speed independantly from the lights? on a timer on its own perhaps?

i think i know how to install a simple switch to switch in between speeds but am stuck with how to automate the circuit; how to simply attach a timer SAFELY kind of freaks me out

lol

dunno if this is the right place for this thread either ;)

cheers in advance ;)

YDL

edited to add:- i also want to switch off the input fan (which is only running at half speed on a dimmer) when the lights go off too.... :headpain:

Edited by YourDrooganLeader

this should work,post-2938-1133660998_thumb.jpg

the numbers are the contacts for an octal base relay,make sure its got a 240 volt AC coil (maplins code JG60Q and JG54J for example).

i kind of get it but...

(u know i am usin a 3600w timer contactor?) from which wire do i tap the live in to?

one of the two cables leading to the contact from the socket; or, from the wire connecting the ballast to the socket on the contactor/timer?

another question..i now i might sound a little thick but...

:stoned:

what are the relay coils and contacts for?(and, more importantly, HOW MUCH DO THEY COST:-)

:blub::blub::puke::yinyang::blub::ouch:

the inlet fan is run at obout 50% efficiency using a dimmer switch.

is this compatable with this cicuit?

got maplins shop near us:-)

it f***in ace

cheers for help madhippy, you r a star

lol

:stoned:

YDL

have found out price, 7 or 8 quid for both.

still dont quite understand what thare and how they work and am too tired to learn at this moment.

:yinyang:

cheers again for help :puke:

A relay is an automatic switch,when you apply a voltage to the coil it closes or opens a set of switch contacts.The coil voltage is taken from the output of your timeclock/contactor so when the timeclock switches the light on it also turns on the relay.

post-2938-1133767457_thumb.jpg

ahhh, i see :ninja:

it sometimes takes a while but i get there in the end :smoke:

f**kin top explaination madhippy.

bolox, got to work at 9 (if you can call research work??i never break a sweat:-)

life is not fair.

So, can i just clarify what i need to do...

I need a plug into my ikon contactor/timer wired up to the relay base (live to7, nuetral to 2)

I also need a separate plug, plugged into a normal socket. its live wire goes to relay base contact 1 and its neutral wire goes to neutral contacts on both the input and output fans (do i simply get a wire connector and put the one wire from the plug in one side and a wire each for both fans in the other?).

i kind of understand the rest, and it seems to make perfect sense. methinks i need to put all my electrics onto a board to keep it all neat and managable lol

that relay on the second diagram, is it the same as those you told me i would need from maplin?

if so i'll get them ordered if the shop doesn't have em in.

cheers again ;)

I need a plug into my ikon contactor/timer wired up to the relay base (live to7, nuetral to 2)

I also need a separate plug, plugged into a normal socket. its live wire goes to relay base contact 1 and its neutral wire goes to neutral contacts on both the input and output fans (do i simply get a wire connector and put the one wire from the plug in one side and a wire each for both fans in the other?)

yep thats about it

that relay on the second diagram, is it the same as those you told me i would need from maplin?

should be as its a standard relay base.there should be a diagram on the side of the relay so you can double check

yep thats about it

excellent

;)

thanks madhippy, top assistance. i am in your debt.

thars my mission as soon as i breakup for the holiday; looks an easy enough job but better allow a full day in case of mistakes :censored:

i would have never known about the relay (where i could get1 and how it worked)

you learn something new everyday ;)

especially when growin bud ;)

got jack herer, bigbud, citral, and supersilverhaze clones comin next week

;)

top stuff, cant wait ;)

cheers YDL