Caterpillars

ChilliUK

Hi,

Ive got a couple of outdoor plants going at the moment that are roughly 2 weeks into forced 12/12 flowering( see in outdoors budshots ). I am having a bit of a problem with caterpillars. Not so much eating the leaves, but they seem to be using the leave to hatch. What seems to happen is i notice that the leaves kind of become stuck together and roll up into a tube, coveded with a kind of white sticky goo ;)

If i peel back the leaves i have been finding a baby catterpillar at the centre of the mess. Not that im into flowering i obviously dont want these things munching on my herb, so i wonder what i can do about them. I dont really know anything about catterpillars, thinking back to biology i remember that catterpillars eventually turn to butterflys or moths but what are they before catterpillars , ie when they wrap up in my leaves?

Is there anything i can spray on my plants to prevent them from doing this, bearing in mind that the plants are flowering and i dont wanna smoke no nasty pesticides. I am always out looking at the plants so am normally spotting these symptoms pretty soon but thought that prevention would be better than cure.

peace

Chilli

They start out as eggs, then caterpillars that eat the leaves, If they are eating your leaves spray with a BT [bacillus thuringiensis] product such as Dipel. This is a bacteria harmless to mammals and used for organic control of moths and butterfly caterpillars.

Hi,

Cheers for the info, am gonna go out tommorow and look for what u recommended as i found another sticky leaf with a a baby caterpillar in the plant tonight grrrr, damn things are gettin high on the plant before me :D

peace

Chilli