Us Toyo Fan

Badders

gallery_9694_405_11561.jpg

gallery_9694_405_14784.jpg

US toyo fan donated by a friend. Any ideas on wiring, They would be perfect for a potential Mother/Clone box... I assume they are American :yinyang: because its a 115v supply needed. I looked up a few 240v-110v step down transformers and they are all a bit expensive! Also Im a bit stumped by the Connectors, anyone recognise them? If not Ill give em a mail or a ring and report back.

Ta,B

Edited by Badders

wire them in series and you will be able to use our 240v supply ,but if you dont feel happy about doing this because you arent comfortable messing about with the mains then dont.

i expect if youre thinking..... 'in series? ..wtf?' then i'd leave well alone :yinyang:

Wiring in series isnt a problem :yinyang: Thanks for the concern. Any ideas about the connectors?

look like some sort of spade connector?..sorry cant recommend anything

is it a case fan?

i had 2 case fan's running off a 300mA uk nokia phone charger... they lasted for a good 6 months until they burnt out (not on fire, :yinyang:)

i was told that a standard case fan 12V 1.4W can run good at say 150mA.

so if you got 1 fan and a 300mA plug, it wont last very long, too much power... 2 fans with a 300mA plug will be fine as its dividing the power into 2 seperates sources.

I dont know if this will work with that chinese case fan, im no electrician, but its worth a go, the worst that can happen is that it will burn out the fan. Make sure you test this not on carpet, a non fire conductive material to test it on, like laminate flooring or tile... or outside.

Plug it up & run it for as long as you can, keep a eye on it, feel the fan to see if its over heating, it will obviously generate some heat... feel it for the first 10mins of running, then go back 30mins later and feel again, if its got hotter then its probably wise to move on and forgot about this fan, thats a indication of a possible chance it could set fire to itself.

if that fan fails then you can buy casefans off ebay for £0.50-£1.00 each.

Currently Running a case fan, should be upgrading to something inline @ x mas :yinyang:

Cant remember what the current rating is on my adapter but the fans have be running cool, and quite for a solid month now. Thing is this runs of AC, not DC like the case fans you mentioned on ebay [delta fans are a bit more ~£3 (on ebay) but they are very powerful as case fans come]

Ive got a few of these fans and figured it would be a waste not to have bash, bit more powerful than puny pc fans, but not overkill for a small clone box or similar. Figure ill wire 2 up in series and get my mate to plug it in :yinyang: Any ideas on that Earthing hole :S. Cant see any way of terminating a cable in there!

Edited by Badders

i have two of these type of fans but they are rated at 240v ...in fact i run them in series as well but to give them a voltage drop of 120v each in order to slow them down to make them run more quietly (and slower)

there is no facility to earth mine just the two leads from the motor ...since they arent metal i wouldnt worry about an earth ,most of the continent is wired up without a provision for a ground wire,here in the uk we are more earth obsessed :smoke:

So Ive heard! :) Thanks for the info, Ill grab a a few lengths of 1.5mm conductor tommorow and wire them up. Then prob come on here and tell people how I managed to burn my eyebrows off :guitar:

Cast on my arm came of the other day!! lol so I can get crack 'a' lackin on sum real DIY :stoned:

How you find the fans, Im currently designing a bit of a noise reducer for them cos I can see em bein a bit intrusive when im trying to get some shut eye!

Ta,B.

First test is pear shaped, wired them up with no luck! Borrowed a step down transformer froma friend and they didnt work either. I think the fans are duff :headpain:

Ill keep ya posted!

Edited by Badders