Building A Reflector/shade On The Bodge Job

Hedgemonkey

Just bought myself a second balast, lampholder E40 and bulb to beef up my growing a bit but not a reflector/shade.

Anyone got any good ideas/plans for a good easy DIY project? I could i know spend £25 and buy one on ebay but whats the fun in that?

Just bought myself a second balast, lampholder E40 and bulb to beef up my growing a bit but not a reflector/shade.

Anyone got any good ideas/plans for a good easy DIY project? I could i know spend £25 and buy one on ebay but whats the fun in that?

hello m8 ! i like the challenge of d.i.y. also . the best (and cheapest) reflector material i have found is called 'STUCCO sheet' its the dimpled effect stuff and can be purchased on auction sites! hope this helps bud............... lol ............BB

:smoke: try a "fire closure plate" from your local plumbers merchant, their made of alloy and can be bant east enough and should only sost about a fiver, size wise , more than ample for a reflector and with a bit of cutting u can mount the lamp holder on that ;):yinyang:

a timely thread as i want to improve my enviro reflector which shouldn't be hard as currently it's just a bit of flat board with some black/white pinned on it, theres some nice dimpled metal on site i may try and get hold of a bit of that. hadn't thought about the closure plate strangeplains good call fella :smoke:

we should put the results up here hedgemonkey

Felon :yinyang:

i pulled a top blag this week. i had bought a 400w MH bulb, ballast, starter, capacitor for 28 quid. all brand new, just needed wiring up which was easy done once i found a decent circuit diagram.

the best bit though was the reflector.

i got some of that dimpled aluminium stuff (the exact same stuff which is used in those sunblaster reflectors), a huge 4ft x 4ft piece. it should have been 30 quid but i pulled the barcode off and bent a couple of the corners. i took it to the till, and the bloke got all flustered and let me have it for a tenner. there is enough for 4 or so good sized reflectors. i have a couple of brackets i can use to fasten e40 fitting to reflector so am laughing.

what i am thinking of doing is making a big reflector, big enuf for the 400w halide and the 600w hps. i can make it a sealed unit with glass and aircool it. what i also thought of doing was riggin something up to revolve i it slowly.

it would have to be a 180 degree turn and the back as the ducting and attached to it for the aircooling as well as the wiring would become twisted.

is this possible 2 HID lights in one big reflector?

i think so

i could make it any shape as long as it is flat so that i can seal it with glass.

any ideas of what i could use to revolve it a half turn and back continousley?

revolving the lights would mean better variation of light coverage with the combination of MH and HPS.

what do you peeps thik, is this a good idea or a waste of time?

cheers all :spliff:

sorry to go off on one, your best bet for a diy reflector is B&Q, for a normal reflector sized sheet of dimpled, flat, shiney, or any design for that ,matter would cost about 8 quid. you can get bracjet from there too for about a quid to hold the e40 lightfitting to the shade.

just get a good straight piece of wood to use to bend the metal sheet aound so you get a nice neat reflector. a silver wing or dutch barn type reflectrs are a piece of piss to make using this method:-)

Edited by YourDrooganLeader

• 2 weeks later...

use aluminium foil!

( cooking foil / kitchen foil )

if you mean to increase the amount of light, then that will work, also is most likely helpful for keeping warmth in too

ID stay away from tin foil if I were you! Its creates Hotspots and its not as reflective as mylar or B&W, which you can come by for a few quid! I cant really be assed to upload an image of my enviro reflector but if you lok at my gallery you will prob see a pic of it!

Basically I got a peice of wood, chopped up two pieces to the same length as the enviro + the e40 fit. I glued and screwed these together so it looked like this

|

|

|_____

Then I made an end peice which I glued and screwed into place, I also used two 90degreee joiners. Really very simple! Then i got some double sided tape and stuck some mylar over it! Try not to get any creases!

Ta,B.

• 2 months later...

hello people

has anyone ever made a reflector/shade from the side panel of a PC? I ask because I've got a couple kicking around the house for some reason. Free's got to beat a fiver for a fire closure plate, no? My only reservation is that it seems quite thick and hence might be tricky to bend.

I've been reading a lot here over the past few days and I'm really impressed by this place. I've spent a lot of time in the past on one of the big US sites, which is great, but it's fab reading about pounds and B&Q rather than dollars and Home Depot or whatever it's called over there. I think I'll be seeing a lot more of you people in the future...

tom

Get yerself down to your local tip where they store the old freezers, the chest freezers are lined with dimpled ally.

I second that ;)

It's the same stuff thats used in the dutch barn reflectors. It's VERY light, can be cut to shape with a good pair of scissors, bends easily, and best of all, it's FREE :bush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...