Extractor fan from Maplin

nomy

Hi fellow hedz.

My first indoor grow is in the planning stage. I intend to use either 2 x 600w HPS, or 3 x 400w. I was thinking of using the industrial 400's and seperating the balasts. This would save quite a bit of money.

Anyway those questions are for later I guess. What I need to know is if you think these fans from Maplin will be up to the extracting job:

Specifications: 120mm

Power consumption 22W

Continuous life 20,000 to 40,000 hours at 40°C

Motor current 140mA

Stall current 180mA

Noise level 45dBA

Max. airflow 80CFM

Speed 2650rpm

Not bad for £17 surely?

Thanks,

Nomy

Nomy,

that wattage sounds like you'll be growing in a big area. An 80 cm/hour fan will serve a 4 cm room eg. 1x2x2 m. This will change the air the recommended 20 times/hour.

I'm using a420cm fan for a room half that size. Changes the air 210 times/hour :D

Excessive, well alittle but most growers go for more than they need as this helps to keep the temp. down, which will be your main problem with an indoor grow.

Have a look at the LTi fans at Growell or anywhere else that does them.

however great Lti fans may be, at £100 a pop there out of most first time growers budget. if u want something cheap but powerful, check out the fan at the bottom of this page. it pushes about the same as the cheapest 6" Lti at a fraction of the price. alternatively, check out the YS-tech fans on that site, there a bit less noisy. Three or four of these fans should do the job quite nicely. altho i'm no expert grower myself so don't take my word for it...

and remember - lol toke toke toke ;)

That fan from maplin is the exact fan I'm using for my wardrobe grow room. Have the fan taking air right from the lights, preferably from the reflector hood (use some tubing or something).

Be careful, I nearly electrocuted myself hooking that fan up though, the pins are quite small and 230v cable tends to be quite thick. Make sure you ground it correctly.

*USE AN RCD*

If you haven't got an RCD on your "fuse box", get the plugin type.

I'll spare you the RCD sales pitch now, but a decent RCD could save you from electrocution, death, agonising burns and all sorts.

Anyway.. yea, keep it real and be careful.