New grow

Burnah

Hello everyone. Posted here a while back bout me settin up a new grow, but I put it of for a few months, now Im back and lookin to get it up and ready asap! :rolleyes:.

Im gonna be usin wardrobe instead of buildin my own growroom. Anyway heres the inside dimensions of it 28"(w) x 16 1/2"(d) x 70"(h), or I might buy a wardrobe with these inside dimensions, 28"(w) x 19 1/2" (d) x 62"(h). I was hoping to use a 250w HPS (which I already have), or buy a 150w HPS to use instead. With the first wardrobe mentioned I would get say 79w per sq ft with the 250watter or 48w per sq ft with the 150w, with the other wardrobe I would get 66w per sq ftt with the 250 or 40w per sq ft with the 150.

Now I was hopin to use the 250 HPS that I already have to save money but 79w seems to much for me to handle coolin (I dont want much noise, not that it will be in my bedroom though), 48w sounds nice but the idea of a 150w HPS in a grow with quite a bit of height puts me off, so 66w sounds ideal if I can cool it easy and quietly, which I dont see much of a porblem with 62" height, but then I havent grown indoors before.

I was thinkin of usin one of the small Lti fans that growell do and maybe a carbon filter for it when flowerin time comes round. But are these fans loud?

I got some more info to give but I gotta go now so Ill post back tomoro and hopefully have some replies by then.

Thanks

Yes those LTi's are noisy buggers but not for the amount of air they move.

If you got the smallest one then this wouldn't give off much noise. You can dampen this further by using meter of acoustic ducting on the out-take side and normal ducting on the intake. You probably wouldn't hear much from a 4" LTi.

If you are venting out to the room where your cabinet is, you will have problems with heat as all the expelled air is just getting sucked back in. You won't be exchanging the air( co2 ) just circulating it.

Could you not vent through the ceiling you wouldn't need to worry about carbon filters then either? :D

Hi Burnah

I have a 150m3/hr 4" fan from growell that cools a light in a grow tent inside my main room. The fan is pulling through two grow tents and a light hood - there's no filter on the O/L but I do have a speed controller, at 75% it's virtually silent.

Hope this helps

David

Finaly got some time to give some more info, and of course ask more questions lol.

Highlander: I will definitly have to give that acoustic ducting a go if I use the lti fan. I cant duct through the ceiling cause I dont want a hole in it, and it all look dodgy, great idea though. Ill probably vent by the window so hopefully that will help. Im gonna go read over one article at OG about home-made carbon filters and hopefully Ill be able to get one of those built and save some £ on buyin one.

OldDave: Cool, whats it like on 100%?(or without speed controller?) and what wattage light is it pullin through?

Thank you both for the info.

Just seen a post on OG bout a fan, seems better than the lti would be, and cheaper. Heres a link to it http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD350.html . Hairbear who posted the link at OG says its only 25db if you put it on the lower speed, can this be right? Ill post and ask him. If it is then this is gotta be the fan for me, or is 300m3 way overkill?

Anyway, hopefully Ill be doin a soil scrog grow and see how that goes.

Anybody got any advice on the wardrobe size / light wattage side of things?

Just remembered another q I have, is mylar light tight? eg, if theres any cracks or anything in the wardrobe (Im bettin 100% on it) would the a layer of mylar keep it out? Then I could hit two birds with one stone ;). If not, what would be the best way to light proof a wardrobe?

Hello Burnah

no expert, but your wardrobe is a bit an itch or two smaller than mine. I have got a 250HPS in there and with door open and fan on its bout 80-82 degrees. But if the door gets closed at all it goes to high 90's in minutes!!

So, I have some compact fluoros in there for when I need the door closed e.g. at night. I need to get extraction sorted, but all seems dandy at the mo

I had a few problems germinating but all is well now, so you should be fine with the 250 in yours

Hope that helps

lol

Thanks for the fast reply blessedherb. Sounds a bit dodgy still, what fan you usin and whats the noise of it like? Dont realy want to be worryin like I would if it got to 90 degrees in there.

Glad to hear everythin is well with your grow, and hope it stays that way, and thats to you all on UK420 lol.

Guest bc pete

hi burnah, i have just taken a look at the fan pictured and it looks almost identical to

the closet extractor fan pictured in their catalogue

and i believe they sell it for less. seems like growell has a good reputation with other 420 growers, ; fast friendly service, technical help etc

www.growell.co.uk

juicy catalogue free of charge

hope this helps

bc pete

Yup growell are a good company. I found this fan on the same site as the other 5" fan, http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD160.html (The TD160). Its a 4" In Line Duct Fan with two speeds, Speed 1 160m3/hr, Speed 2 130m3/hr and its £45 ex vat. Would this fan do for my space? Whats the formula for workin out how much you need?

Ive been thinkin Ill maybe to use a fan like that for extraction, probably with passive intake, and aircool the light, just usin two computer fans.

Any input on if this would work?

Oh yea and the db for that fan is 14db / 18db dependin on speed accordin to its specs http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Data...lerPalou/TD.htm , could this be right? A quick look at the specs on a 27CFM comp fan is 20dba and thats much smaller / less powerfull!

Whats the formula for workin out how much you need?

Work out the volume of your space (Length x Width x Hieght) then, as you want the air changed around 20 times per hour times the volume by 20...this gives you the minimum power fan you need

Thanks MrBenn.

Been thinkin the last couple days of builin a growroom instead then I could use the 250w, cant be that hard makin one can it? Just usin 12mm ply would do wouldnt it? And 1" x 1" for the frame?

What woud be the best size growroom for a 250w scrog? Was thinkin maybe 50w per sq ft, so it would be the room would be 5sq ft. If I went that way would it be best to it 30" width x 24" deep? And for hieght maybe 4ft, 14" for the light, 14" for buds above screen, 10" for the stems below screen and 10" for the pots? Sound about right?

Would realy appriciate any coments.

Thanks

Burnah, yeah 4-5 square feet with a 250W HPS.

Your estimations for scrog are okay, 10" screen (you could start with 12", as I did), but the bud height is too much: this will more likely be 6-8" if done properly.

All the best,

Trichome