Online Biocontrols

Billibobo

Can anyone recommend a reliable company for ordering beneficial insects from? I'd like to start incorporating nematodes into my control programme. The foliar treatments I use don't control black fungus gnats larvae which live in the compost and eat the roots.

Edited by Billibobo

If fungus gnats are your only problem just put a layer of sharp sand(about half inch) on top of your medium.This suffacates them already in the medium and the adults wont lay in the sand when it goes quite hard. :stoned:

Put some sticky traps up to catch any adults and bingo...Sorted :smug:

Owd :yinyang:

Can anyone recommend a reliable company for ordering beneficial insects from?  I'd like to start incorporating nematodes into my control programme. The foliar treatments I use don't control black fungus gnats larvae which live in the compost and eat the roots.

421280[/snapback]

Yes mate, yes I can :stoned:

defenders

This is where I bought mine from :yinyang: funny little buggers. There great!

Mr P

Thanks, I tried the sand, but still had problems. Regarding the Defenders, they only seem to supply predatory mites. Unfortunately these are killed by the foliar treatment I use (SB Plant Invigorator), hence the reason I wanted to use nematodes.

Just found this site just-green.com Does anyone know if they are any good?

If fungus gnats are your only problem just put a layer of sharp sand(about half inch) on top of your medium.This suffacates them already in the medium and the adults wont lay in the sand when it goes quite hard. :stoned:

Put some sticky traps up to catch any adults and bingo...Sorted :smug:

Owd :yinyang:

421283[/snapback]

Yep thats what worked a treat for me, it was a great temp job, seemed to cut it right down to a almost standstill, ther was one or two fungus gnats appearing every 4 days or something, but from what I've read and through trying it myself the plants seem less healthy from what might be lack of CO2 getting to the roots?

I only left the sand on for a week or two, and then removed sand, potted up and chuck in these little mites and not a gnat in sight, they we're gone!

Hope this is usefull for ya!

Mr P

i've used defenders spider mite treatment for a number of years with no problems (apart from the spidermites). defenders also do a product called slugsure which involves nematodes as does grub sure which targets vine weavil grubs. give them a ring, they're very helpful.