Painting Mdf

SirBob

Hi all im building a light baffle for my intake out of mdf. :smug::wassnnme:

ive built the sides and need to paint the inside black.

nipping down to b&q soon for the paint, will i just need black emulsion or do i need any under coat or primer aswell?

thanks every body B) B) B) ;):yep::beer:

A good way to seal the mdf and 'key' it is to use a PVA adhesive and sealer.

Probably cheaper than a primer. Think unibond do one. 250ml. Should be something similar from the usual outlets or from your local hardware store.

Then just paint with matt black.

A good way to seal the mdf and 'key' it is to use a PVA adhesive and sealer.

Probably cheaper than a primer. Think unibond do one. 250ml. Should be something similar from the usual outlets or from your local hardware store.

Then just paint with matt black.

407827[/snapback]

many thanks to Pgt and Emb.

pva adhesive and seler eh? is that one product or two? also what does key mean?

sorry complete newbie at this!

It is one product. It is basically PVA glue that you dilute to the concentration required for the use you intend.

'Key' means that the surface you have prepared will accept and 'grip' the product you are going to apply much better. In this case the MDF surface will be sealed and afford a good purchase for the paint. The paint will not be soaked into the MDF meaning that you will require less coats of paint to complete.

Another instance would be if you were trying to glue two pieces of smooth plastic together. You would get a much better bond if you roughed the two surfaces to be glued (keying) by using coarse sandpaper prior to applying the glue or bonding agent.

EmB.

thanks emb, very informative. i found that actually when i was building the box with contact adhesive before i put screws in, one part i was using was the precut end fo the MDF, and wouldnt stick for shit.

jus got back from b+q, only had massive tins of mdf primer, so i got some all in one primer/one coat paint. let u know if 'one coat is true.

:guitar::yinyang::yinyang::yinyang::yinyang::smug::guitar: B) B)