Car Cigarette Lighter Connector To Plug?

UberDoober

Ive seen some nice little 6" fans in lidl for cheap as chips but they are meant for cars and have a 'Cigarette Lighter' Connector, can anyone tell me if its possible to wire a plug onto the end instead?

Cheers. Doober :yinyang:

Hi Mate,

You need a 12v power pack. Cars run on 12v so you need something to plug into your mains that will bring it down from 240v-12v. I think Maplins will have what you need. :yinyang:

VRG

£5!!!! NICE!

Ive been looking in all the cheap shops in town and couldnt find a single fan for under £10, will check out those b&q ones tomorrow. ta for that.

Cheers for the info VRG, that would have done the job, think it work out just as cheap with the b&q ones tho. out of curiosity though could i run a few fans off one 12v power pack?

Cheers for the info VRG, that would have done the job, think it work out just as cheap with the b&q ones tho. out of curiosity though could i run a few fans off one 12v power pack?

402010[/snapback]

No it won't dude a 12 volt power supply will supply 12 volts, so you can only run 1 fan at 12 volts if you run 2 fans from it they will only be getting half the volts...

Get it?

Hope it helps :yuck:

RAZ

wot u need in a inverter that will boost the power...... so u can run 2 or more b+ q fans from one 12v battery

shamone :yuck:

No it won't dude a 12 volt power supply will supply 12 volts, so you can only run 1 fan at 12 volts if you run 2 fans from it they will only be getting half the volts...

Get it?

Hope it helps :soap:

RAZ

402169[/snapback]

:yuck: Not quite true RAZ. What you say is only true if you wire in series (the 'neutral' from one fan becomes the live for the next). It's more usual to wire in parallel, and if you do that they will all have 12 volts. You can run as many as you want from one power supply as long as you don't exceed its current rating.

:yuck: Not quite true RAZ. What you say is only true if you wire in series (the 'neutral' from one fan becomes the live for the next). It's more usual to wire in parallel, and if you do that they will all have 12 volts. You can run as many as you want from one power supply as long as you don't exceed its current rating.

402174[/snapback]

How can that be? It's a 12 volt supply, so it can only produce 12 volts.

Don't matter how many fans you got on it, it can still only put out the 12 stated volts :soap:

RAZ

i think hairy is right here RAZ. in a parallel circuit the voltage is shared allowing you to add more of whatever it is you are adding. ie bulbs,resistors of fans

.as hairy face sez as long as you don't exceed the total current rating of the equipment

here is a good basic explaination :soap:

i've done the same thing myself run 2 or 3 comp fans off the same power source no probs

edited cause i was talkin bollards :yuck:

Edited by kyphi

i think hairy is right here RAZ. in a parallel circuit the voltage is shared allowing you to add more of whatever it is you are adding. ie bulbs,resistors of fans

.as hairy face sez as long as you don't exceed the total current rating of the equipment

here is a good basic explaination  :mashed:

i've done the same thing myself run 2 or 3 comp fans off the same power source no probs

edited cause i was talkin bollards  :yinyang:

402197[/snapback]

What about current? I've got a 0.4A PC fan for hood cooling wired up to a 1.5A PC power supply, which sounds crazy, but some PC's have fans that connect direct to this supply rather than through the motherboard so i thought it must be ok. I believe if a load draws more current than it's supply then the supply gets fried but im not sure about the other way around.

Guest nigfis
What about current? I've got a 0.4A PC fan for hood cooling wired up to a 1.5A PC power supply, which sounds crazy, but some PC's have fans that connect direct to this supply rather than through the motherboard so i thought it must be ok. I believe if a load draws more current than it's supply then the supply gets fried but im not sure about the other way around.

402259[/snapback]

That's fine mate. The power supply will run 3 (3*0.4A=1.2A) of those without exceeding it's load. :yinyang: