Use Greenhouse To Flower 12hrs Daily ?

AscendedMind

Use greenhouse to flower 12hrs daily ?

I plan on relocating to sunny New Mexico.

I would love to harness the sun in a greenhouse without using HID lighting.

Is this practical or even possible?

I use SOG style gardening where I immediately put the clones or cuttings into the flower mode.

Is it possible to automatically shield a greenhouse from the suns light at 12 hours?

Is there a type of greenhouse available that would allow you to control the amt of sun your plants receive daily? :wassnnme:

I wouldnt have thought so, not without building something yourself.

If there is, Ive never heard of it. :wassnnme:

Either get 2 BIG BLACK tarps, or plan on reloacating them to a garage for 12 hrs a day. U want 2 just in case you get some light penetration with the first one. one problem that immediately jumps to mind with big black tarps is that ur greenhouse will boil 1-2 hrs after the tarps go on, probably hotter than u can stan for more than a few minutes, and seeing as how its gnna be really hot anyway:) yea, so you are gonna need good air flow through the greenhouse to keep it at a relatively normal temp throughout the day

Hi there Acended Mind,

I remember reading an article a while back on swiss greenhouses, might have even been over at the "other" site :thisbig:. I believe they use a system exactly as you are asking for, to allow them to force flower the plants, and achieve several harvests a year.

Have a poke around, I'm sure you can find some sort of automatic shutter setup but its likely to be pretty pricey. If its too much, or not available then you can always do it manually as 1 toke has suggested.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more specific.

- M