How shit is my dehumidifier?

darXound

Posted (edited)

A saw a deal for an AC unit 3 in 1 type thing from Wilko. It's a HOMCOM Black 4 in 1 5000 BTU Mobile Air Conditioner.

Took a punt and set it up, mainly just wanted the ac feature which is great but seeing as the UK is like a rainforest atm, I'm needing to dehumidify as I'm drying right now.

Anyway, when I use the dehumidifier feature, this is what is does the my environment (5x5 tent)

Screenshot_20240526-103734.png

So 65.7 is my natural RH but when I turn the dehumidifier on, it oscillates wildly between 65 and 75%

Is this because the feature is shit, or am I set up wrong?

The air conditioner outlet is vented into the loft. Hardly anything comes out of the water outlet

Edited by darXound

What happens if you set the humidity even lower? on a side note is it any good as an AC unit as I could do with one

• Like 1

Sounds like you might have it set up wrong mate, i have absolutely no experience with this particular example but i know my dehu doesn't do that to my charts.

:yinyang:

• Haha 1

You can't actually set the humidity it seems. It works great as an AC though

The graph suggests it's turning itself on and off, maybe it has a preset humidity?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woozy said:

The graph suggests it's turning itself on and off, maybe it has a preset humidity?

Exactly that. No control for the humidity. 

However, why go up +10%? That's way more than normal. It's putting more humidity into the air

actually looking at it, I reckon it's just using AC to remove humidity, as AC does take it out the air, that's why it's bringing your temps down too

Just now, Woozy said:

actually looking at it, I reckon it's just using AC to remove humidity, as AC does take it out the air, that's why it's bringing your temps down too

Yeah, not a proper dehumidifier basically. 

Ah well, the AC bit is cool

Them having a dry mode is more of a by product side act to being an AC unit, for a proper dehumidifying you gonna have to get a dedicated dehumidifier sadly mate 👍

• Like 1

I have to attach a drain to my AC unit for it to function well as a dehumidifier. Has two drain points and the lower is the dehumidifier and the higher one holds water the ac collects. That's the only reason my one would cut out if it didn't have a constant water drain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EarLobe said:

I have to attach a drain to my AC unit for it to function well as a dehumidifier. Has two drain points and the lower is the dehumidifier and the higher one holds water the ac collects. That's the only reason my one would cut out if it didn't have a constant water drain.

Is yours also some multi-purpose shite? What model?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, darXound said:

Yeah, not a proper dehumidifier basically. 

Advert says it can work as AC or dehumidifier. Have you tried reading the manual? It suggests you can change MODE to dehumidify by pushing the MODE button until the water drops icon is highlighted with LED, attach drain hose to outlet at bottom of device, profit. 

Edited by Saddam

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, darXound said:

A saw a deal for an AC unit 3 in 1 type thing from Wilko. It's a HOMCOM Black 4 in 1 5000 BTU Mobile Air Conditioner.

Took a punt and set it up, mainly just wanted the ac feature which is great but seeing as the UK is like a rainforest atm, I'm needing to dehumidify as I'm drying right now.

Anyway, when I use the dehumidifier feature, this is what is does the my environment (5x5 tent)

Screenshot_20240526-103734.png

So 65.7 is my natural RH but when I turn the dehumidifier on, it oscillates wildly between 65 and 75%

Is this because the feature is shit, or am I set up wrong?

The air conditioner outlet is vented into the loft. Hardly anything comes out of the water outlet

Have you tried for a long time ( few days)?

Also have you checked when dehumidifying that actually there is warm dry air coming out?

I have a similar situation when the dehumidifier is activating the frost mode under 20C. If the temperature on the space ( lung room in my case) are 20c or lower mine ( compressor) does something similar.

Also:

- I thought Wilko close down

- I thought you were looking for a dehumidifier not AC which can reduce humidity if temperature are higher or enter cold dey air...maybe that way they said AC 4in 1

Edited by Amnesialocal

On 26/05/2024 at 16:06, darXound said:

Is yours also some multi-purpose shite? What model?

It is mate. Pretty sure it's an old Currys one. Logik I think. Give 150 for it about 7years ago now.