Plants are stunted; I am stumped-ed

Ishmael

large.plants2.jpg.6a4e84ea47912f9db2d99c2cf1a5a6d5.jpglarge.plants1.jpg.2e78eb1e5486d80ae46ec424f0057a77.jpg

Look at these sad little seedlings, sprouted a fortnight ago. My plants are not thriving. Lower leaves going yellow, leaves droop a bit, not a lot of growth. They flower but give verey poor yields. I have tried changing most things - details below. Please have a good look before making suggestions, I feel like I've tried everything and this is far from my first rodeo.

OK I grow in a 1m x 1m space in my loft. It has the usual loft temp issues, freezing n winter, boiling in summer. But I put a vent in the bathroom ceiling and it intakes temperate air from there. I grew up there in a tent, about five or six grows, all excellent. Then once I had a nice stock in the jars I decided to build an insulated space up there with solid walls and a door, and 100mm intake and outtake pipes, external 100mm RVK fan and filter drawing air out, another similar fan pumping air in, variac controlled. Ever since I built it, grows have been poor like this one seems to be going to be.

I start them off in root riots, then pot them up into initial pots as above. I've tried batmix (with grow nutes), Jack's Magic and Westlands +JI, also tried potting root riots into JI No 1, minimal nutes at first (they stunted), some liquid seeweed, some root stim, being careful not to overdo it. Nothing worked.

I use the same 315w CDM/CMH lighting that I did in the tent, when things were successful. This time I tried a new bulb. I used to keep the lamp at the top, this time I dropped it half way once the plants had a couple of nodes. Not making any difference so far.

I have tried Sweet Seeds Jack47 autos, also regs, Serious Seeds AK47 autos, and a grow of various freebie femmed seeds. All stunted.

Temps look OK in the tent. They don't go below 18C. They do sometimes get over 30C in this season, but not by much or for long, and not in the winter when I use a bar heater and reptile mat on a thermostat to keep everything about 18/19C. I time the lights 18 hrs on, 6 hrs off for autos and veg stage fems, but have also tried lights on 24/7 for autos in case that was the issue. Nope.

The pots with the bottoms cut out are to shield the plants from the intake in case they were getting blasted with cold air at night. They're not though and that didn't change anything.

I've tried both fans on full, also just using the outtake fan dialed down so air flow was slow, neither made any difference.

This is the fourth poor grow starting. I must be missing something - any ideas?  

Posted (edited)

...those are Tropf Blumats you can see with the drippers. They work fine but I have tried hand watering (plus I always add nutes by handwatering) with no difference to the outcome. Just don't get it.

The room I built was traditionally constructed with thinnish stud and plasterboard walls with fibreglass insulation enclosed. It seals well.

The mat you can see is a garden centre thing to help retain water, works well. I washed it with Jeyes and rinsed it very well this time.

Edited by Ishmael

Posted (edited)

How the roots looking?

Do you clean pots in between?

Also, welcome back.

Edited by Cursed

Just now, Cursed said:

How the roots looking?

Do you clean pots in between?

Oh hi Cursed, long time no chat. The roots don't look brilliant or haven't in the last few grows, including one I abandoned. They just seem to fill the bottom of the pots. Yes pots assiduously Jeyes-ed and rinsed and dried, or bought new.

• Like 1

Just now, Cambium said:

No advice, just wanted to say hi @Ishmael

Hi Cams how are you doing?

7 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I use a bar heater and reptile mat on a thermostat to keep everything about 18/19C.

too low imo, i like mine to be 26 min

• Like 4

Wonder if I should try coco? I've only ever used compost, it used to go so well (sob)

• Like 1

Just now, ratdog said:

too low imo, i like mine to be 26 min

Hiya Ratty. Yeah maybe that's it, it always seems so warm in there but maybe in the wee small hours not so much. It was OK in the tent though...

• Like 1

i love coco, i have done two runs and i'll never look back

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

They don't go below 18C.

Hi, nice to see you again. I agree with ratdog, I think they're too cold.

• Like 1

Try coco,there's a hell of a lot of shite compost about these days.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Hi Cams how are you doing?

Aside from a bit if surgery recently, doing pretty good thanks. Hope all is well aside from the plant issues which after actually reading your post lol I would agree with rat dog, get the temps up. As you'll know compost very forgiving, except with low temps. Symptoms look pretty typical. 

• Like 2