**Advanced Notice - Disabling use of "Display Name" for logging in - switching to email address log in instead**

Joolz

27 minutes ago, northern_soul said:

@Joolz Please would you confirm whether this is the case? I used a temporary email service so won't be able to check the inbox.

As long as you are logged into your uk420 account you can switch to a different email address without having to access the old one, just need access to the new one to click on the confirmation email. Did it couple hours ago and went smoothly after setting up a new email addy that won't self destruct so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Military Grade said:

@btk1977  Yeah get it done while you remember now mate rather than regret it later 👍

Yep did it while I was thinking about it, know how it goes with my ADHD brain otherwise 🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, btk1977 said:

As long as you are logged into your uk420 account you can switch to a different email address without having to access the old one, just need access to the new one to click on the confirmation email. Did it couple hours ago and went smoothly after setting up a new email addy that won't self destruct so to speak.

Thank you bud. I'll get setting that up now in that case.

• Like 1

Can anyone suggest an email provider that requires no identification (that doesn't ask you to authenticate with an existing email address or phone number)?

4 hours ago, northern_soul said:

Can anyone suggest an email provider that requires no identification (that doesn't ask you to authenticate with an existing email address or phone number)?

Try Proton mail 

1 hour ago, Nuttyprof said:

Try Proton mail 

I did, seems they require an existing email to validate yourself.

2 hours ago, northern_soul said:

I did, seems they require an existing email to validate yourself.

that's optional so that you can gain access to your protonmail if you ever forget your password:yep:

• Like 2

On 10/05/2024 at 15:35, Shumroom said:

You should be able to locate your password from your browser @badbillybob

Atb

☯️

i wouldnt know where to start, dont even know what a browser is to be honest. im a computard

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joolz said:

that's optional so that you can gain access to your protonmail if you ever forget your password:yep:

Thank you. I'll have another look.

21 minutes ago, northern_soul said:

Mustn't be the case anymore. I'll keep looking.

It is still the case, I signed up for one before i posted previously, you don't have to give them an alternative email, but if you don't and you forget your proton password then you wont be able to recover your proton account

most email providers will give you the same option when signing up

• Like 3

Not trying to be difficult Joolz but I assure you that is the case. I tried to provide a screenshot as evidence but forgot you cannot paste images.

I've tried twice and in each case I had to provide an additional email to validate. Their reason for this is to prove I am human.

Human verification — checking you’re a human when you sign up for Proton Mail

In order to maintain the integrity of Proton Mail, we must take measures to stop spammers creating accounts. This is because if spammers use Proton Mail to send messages, Proton Mail’s IP addresses can become blocked by major mail providers such as Gmail, Yahoo, and Outlook.

In order to prevent the creation of accounts by spam bots or human spammers, Proton Mail uses a variety of human verification methods. You may be asked to verify using either CAPTCHA, email, or SMS. We have an intelligent algorithm that determines the required verification method based on a number of factors.

Generally speaking, attempting to create multiple accounts will trigger more difficult verification methods such as email or SMS, although there are also other factors that we consider. Certain Tor exit IPs also encounter this problem if they are frequently abused by spammers or attackers attempting to brute force user accounts.

If you are only given the option of email or SMS verification and would like to avoid using email or SMS verification, it is possible to do so by upgrading to a paid plan(new window) using PayPal or Bitcoin(new window).

We don’t save CAPTCHA results. If you are presented with email or SMS verification, we only save a cryptographic hash of your email or phone number which is not permanently associated with the account that you create. Because hash functions are one-way functions, it is impossible to derive your phone number or email from that hash. However, using the same phone number will result in obtaining the same cryptographic hash. So by comparing hashes, we can detect if phone numbers or email addresses are reused for human verification.

51 minutes ago, northern_soul said:

Not trying to be difficult Joolz but I assure you that is the case.

I didnt think you were :yep:

I only got the captcha option and after completing that i was asked to optionally enter email or phone for recovery purposes

looks like its giving you more hurdles as you have tried several times

try deleting proton history and cookies from your browser, or use another browser and use a vpn too

• Like 2

Also try the app, i found sometime a app has a different pathway to doing things that the brower, and vice versa 👍(looking at you PayPal lol )

• Like 2