Fruit Fly infestation in my compost stash, is it savable?

wotnwhy

I've been away over winter and just got home, I have a bathtub full of my own soil (plant magic base with lots of organic additives (kelp powder, gypsum, that kinda thing) and have discovered its absolutely swarming with fruit flies! 
Is there anything I can do to save this compost for my next grow?

Or do I have to do the unthinkable and clear out, clean up, and start again? That would be devastating as it was a fresh batch that's only done 1 run! 

Hopefully I can sulfur bomb the room and add some neem or something to the soil to save it, but worried that as there's so many of them the chances of them coming back are high..?

nematodes should probably sort it out, they've always cleared up any infestations I've had.

That'll be fungus gnats (Sciarid Fly), a sign that your soil is waterlogged and probably a bit anaerobic. As @Woozy said get some nematodes, they'll take about two weeks to work. Don't plant any seeds in it until then as the larvae will munch them. A dusting of neem lead powder/Neal seed meal over the surface will also help to fuck them up a bit. 

It'll be fine to use eventually, just takes a bit of time. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

I've solved them by covering the top of the soil in some sort of barrier.  I used pearlite.  I would think clean sand ( like playground sand from the home improvement store) or diatomaceous earth woould likely accomplish the same.  

Anyhow, covering the soil surface completely and letting it dry back should kill them off.  It worked for me, anyhow. 

Get some mosquito dunks or similar BT product. Really smacks them down.

Thanks for the responses everyone, grabbed myself some nematodes, lets see what happens.

8 hours ago, iShouldCoCo said:

Get some mosquito dunks or similar BT product. Really smacks them down.

What is BT?

@wotnwhy

BT is Bacillus thuringiensis - it's a bacterial larvacide that targets mosquito and more importantly fungus gnats. It's really effective.

Edited by iShouldCoCo

Hang / place some sticky traps near the soil surface too so you get the buggers as they emerge.

Combine that with BT and the Nematodes and in 2 weeks their numbers will be way down.

• Like 1