A quick question on Epsom Salts

darXound

I currently in week 4 on my first grow in soil - This is also the first time seeing Mg deficiency and apparently needing Epsom salts as cal-mag clearly isn't supplying enough.

Question is, does it matter what Epsom Salts are used? I'm thinking of nipping to b&m to pick up some "Westlab Reviving Epsom Bath Salts" but wondering if it needs to be plant specific. It says 100% natural salts with nothing added"..... a mineral is a mineral right, so should this do the trick?

As long as it is 100% Epsom Salts it'll be fine for plants.

I'd be wary if it says bath salts though, that normally means a cocktail of stuff including fragrances.

• Like 1

It says nothing added, so unless they're lying it should be aight. Thanks 🙏

• Like 1

Get your water tested. You’ll want a cal:mag of 3:1 or thereabouts. Adding cal:mag in hard water areas is not recommended 

17 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Get your water tested. You’ll want a cal:mag of 3:1 or thereabouts. Adding cal:mag in hard water areas is not recommended 

I suspect this may be a combination of 2 things. 1st, I don't know what the hell i'm doing in soil, i've always grown in coco... 2nd, my Calcium levels are probably pretty high compared to Mg. I'm getting a lot of calcium from wollastonite on top of cal-mag and from what I can tell, there's a ratio to be taken into account. Living and learning 🤷‍♂️

Didn’t realise you’re in compost. In which case your problem might be too much calcium. Try not using cal mag to see if that helps, my ratio is 19:1 so only need mg, even then I often don't. If your water is hard, only add mg. 

• Like 1

That's my suspicion. I didn't start seeing signs until I started adding the cal-mag

i was in a similar position myself last year.

I was getting classic Mg deficiency, i tried cal mag which actually made it worse.

I live in a hard water area and i got my water tested by GA.

It turns out i needed to add 3g of Epsom salt per 10L of water.

Also its best to dissolve the Epsom salts into a little hot water until dissolved, then add it to your watering can

• Like 2