Old seed germination promotion with priming?

rememberingnever

Have some near 18 yo seeds that would be a blessing to get them to come up. We tried others and although splitting they never quite made it or were lacking in energy to break the surface/push the shell husk out and begin photosynthesis.

I've read about priming with melatonin, humic/fulvic acids. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with such? I've previously in the past tried abrasion of the seed coating, hydrogen peroxide etc but can't say it's ever really helped.

Appreciate any pointers to perhaps a product or experienced guidance with such! Perhaps there is just little chance at this point.

Edited by rememberingnever
  • Like 1

You'll probably have to go down the pgr route with gibberellic acid.

Pretty sure @SkyRider is trying this at the moment. Though he's not been active for a little while but if your on insta he's on there and has a few posts about it. 

Edited by ukbudz
More info.
  • Like 1

Interesting, i thought gibberellic acid was used to promote males. Any ideas on his insta handle? :)

1 minute ago, rememberingnever said:

Interesting, i thought gibberellic acid was used to promote males.

The effect of ga3 is dose dependant IIRC, smaller amounts can actually initiate female flowering earlier than without it, and its often used to germinate old seeds, and it also stimulates the production of secondary metobolites. Higher doses will make a female plant turn male tho.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

After reading a a research article/study it appears 400-600 mg per litre seemed to benefit germination in industrial hemp :D. Also appears to be used in Tissue Culture which is something i'm pretty interested in for storage of genetics. Seen a few 0.001% solutions knocking around, the maths is hurting my head atm trying to figure out how much of such a solution would be needed!

Edited by rememberingnever

Did also read methods of coating the seed in the powder before sowing which seems like less math involved :D.