Tent Advice - 4x4 or a Bigger XXL Budbox?

21Cabbage

As it stands, I'm currently in the process of rounding up a list of all the necessary equipment needed to get myself up and running. 

My issue at the moment though is trying to make a decision on whether to buy a standard 4x4ft (122x122x203cm) grow tent with the intention of buying another one later down the line. Or do I future proof now and buy something bigger grab like the Budbox XXL Plus Pro Grow Tent. That's a whopping 1.5x3m in size with the ability to zip the tent into two separate grow spaces. 

Right now, I only have funds for everything to fill 1 tent so if I went with the bigger XXL Budbox, half the tent would be sitting vacant for a while. 

What would you recommend I do? I like the option of having two separate tents. That way, I can veg one strain in one of the tents and flower in the other. But at the same time, I can do exactly the same thing with the bigger tent and it'll be cheaper in the long run if I spend the added cost now.

Bare in mind this will be my first time growing so maybe I should keep things as simple as possible and stick with the 4x4 to begin.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks folks. 

Start with just one smaller tent.

Otherwise you’ll be paying to heat up all the extra unused space until you’ve got enough lights.

Plus having 2 tents allows more flexibility,

even drying in one tent while the other tent is still flowering etc.

Atb

☯️

• Like 9

why not get the bigger one? if you've got the room. if you can split the tent then each half will be more or less the same size as a 4x4, yes heat will venture into the unused bit but heat would escape through the wall of a 4x4. you can use the spare bit for drying and equipment until you get up and running

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks @Shumroom

If I'm honest, I was leaning more towards the single 4x4. With it being my first attempt at growing, I figured it would be easier to contain my environment with most a single tent.

Like you said, if things progress, I can always buy another 4x4 and later down the line. I like the option of two tents eventually though. That way, there's less down time and I have more options when it comes to growing. As tempting as it is to grow multiple strains in one tent, I think when learning my craft, sticking with one strain will keep things easier to control going forward. 

If growing with two 4x4s, can I get away with buying a larger carbon scrubber and exhaust fan and have it run through both tents rather than buying two smaller units? What would be the better option there?

Edited by 21Cabbage

You also make a good point there @Woozy. This is the reason I had to ask the question cause I can see reasons for both. I've got the space for a bigger tent. It seems like it's either six or a half a dozen really. 

To keep the wife happy, I think I may go with the smaller 4x4 to break it to her gently. I don't want her thinking my new hobby will soon be taking over every room in the house! I'll break it to her gently and hopefully she chills out as time passes by! 😅

• Like 5

Second tents are a godsend but they don't usually need to be massive. You can start seeds or keep mother plants to have ready or near enough ready for when the bigger one is free, maybe finish off the veg in the big tent leaving the smaller one free for drying.

Oh and doing one strain might be easier but what's the point of growing your own if you only get one strain? I've never ever done one strain come to think of it. Just don't do too many plants and they're easy enough to keep an eye on.

• Like 4

All sound advice ^^^^

my tuppence, get the smaller, suss out lots of the shit, environment, reading plants, diff nutrient choices, growing medium, etc etc etc. with a couple of grows. As @KC said as per strains fuck aye! Bit variety and possibly Chuck a couple of autos in alongside some photos and reap a harvest when flip time comes. 👍 All the very best in your new hobby activities. Stay safe and keep it hreen

Om Shanti Boom Shiva time for a bong!

• Like 1

I’d just use separate extraction fans and filters for each tent.

One might be running at a different speed than the other due to how high you’re running your lights etc ;) 

Atb

☯️

• Like 3

Always great advice in here. If you want to add a smaller tent for a veg tent, you can set it up next to your flower tent and use the same extraction. If you go for a 4x4, you will be able to, if you’ve got the space, put a 2x4 next to it. When I grew in my tent, I wrapped it in black and white plastic, it made it a little less obvious and double protection on light leaks. Once I had my 2x4 flower tent working I added a 2x2 veg tent, the vent flaps even lined up. As far as extraction goes, try and vent your space separate from your intake 👍🏼

• Like 2

On 10/04/2024 at 18:29, 21Cabbage said:

the Budbox XXL Plus Pro Grow Tent. That's a whopping 1.5x3m in size with the ability to zip the tent into two separate grow spaces. 

You might want to double check that, I'm pretty confident that isn't the case.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Flamedodger said:

As far as extraction goes, try and vent your space separate from your intake 👍🏼

👍

• Like 1

On 11/04/2024 at 10:45, KC said:

Second tents are a godsend but they don't usually need to be massive. You can start seeds or keep mother plants to have ready or near enough ready for when the bigger one is free, maybe finish off the veg in the big tent leaving the smaller one free for drying.

Oh and doing one strain might be easier but what's the point of growing your own if you only get one strain? I've never ever done one strain come to think of it. Just don't do too many plants and they're easy enough to keep an eye on.

This makes a lot of sense. To be honest, I'm jumping the gun, but I've always had a habit of doing that no matter what it is I find myself getting involved in. Initially, I thought I'd only have access to a small corner of a room, but after some sweet talking to my other half, I've been given permission to take advantage of the entire room which is down right awesome. Now, the thought of kitting out the entire room was always an option, but since it's been well over 10 years since I last grew, and the fact I want to keep this as hush hush as humanly possible, I feel like my best bet would be to have two tents (4x4s) with an additional smaller tent for both mothers and cuttings as I'd love to hold onto some some phenos along he way. 

With access to the room, and my high tolerance, I'd like to keep the wrong running year round with as much minimum down town as possible. That's the plan anyway, but I need to learn how to walk before I can run so a single 4x4 sounds like the best option with a mother/clone tent to get the ball rolling. As times goes, I'd then look to introduce a second tent. I've got a couple questions with regards to all of this.

Firstly, can I choose to extract all stale air straight into the loft? I'd rather keep all windows closed? Can I run all fresh air from the air inside the tent? With 2 tents could this seem idea work? As for a small Mother tent would a carbon scrubber be deemed necessary

Also, to keep things running in a timely fashion, how best would I be looking to do things? Would I have one tent flowering while the other is is in veg and vice versa? There's still a lot to consider here but I'm at the right place and the more I read, the more I'll be able to figure this all out. 

@21Cabbage

Yeah running the extracted air into the loft should be sweet, have a look up there for soffits, modern properties will have them. My loft doesn't but I extract through the bathroom extractor using a t piece. 

Intake from the room the tent is in will be fine if you're extracting into the loft. 

I reckon you'd get away without the carbon filter on the little tent, I'm sure your Mrs would tell you if there was a problem. I'm currently not running any extraction on my veg one, it'll get turned on in the summer though. 

The only thing you really need to watch with having the tents in the same room is making sure no light pollution gets into the flower tent. These tents tend to get pin pricks in the material or start to leak a bit of light threw the zips as they age.