8" Acoustic Box Fan - Filter Advice

laughing_buddha

I am starting to plan a new grow and was hoping someone could offer some advice on my fan and filter setup.

I currently have a 8" box fan I purchased for my previous grow, which I had running on half speed.

I had a 6 inch filter connected to this.

I'm not sure if this was the correct setup.

My new grow room is going to be roughly 2.4m x 1.2m x 2m and I will be using 2 x 600W HPS (leftover from last grow).

Would it be wise to purchase a new filter for this setup, an 8" filter to match the fan? Or might it be possible to use the filter I already have.

I only used the filter for one grow previously, before having to move house and everything has been in storage for the past 2-3 years.

Cheers!

if you use the filter, keep it at half speed.

if you run the fan flat out it wont scrub the air properly if the fan is rated higher cfm output than the filter.

hope that make s sense

• Like 1

6 hours ago, badbillybob said:

if you use the filter, keep it at half speed.

if you run the fan flat out it wont scrub the air properly if the fan is rated higher cfm output than the filter.

hope that make s sense

Hello again bud.

Ok great, that's good to know, out of interest, if I wanted to run the fan on full power (which I don't really for the noise) would I need an 8" filter for this fan?

I had a quick read regarding fans earlier, but couldn't quite grasp how to spec a fan and filter.

Here where I got to:

Size of tent = 2.4m x 1.2m x 2m = 5.76 cubic metres.

I need to look at an exchange of air once every minute, so I would multiply this by 60 to give me 345 cubic metres per hour. 

I checked online, and think my fan on full power will pull 1500 cubic metres per hour which is well over.

So I guess from what you are saying, the filter just won't be able to scrub the air fast enough for the fan on full power.

If I ran the fan at 50%, in theory this would pull 750 cubic metres per hour.

Then I take into consideration the derating factor of the filer, 25%?

750 * 0.75 gives me 562.5 cubic metres per hour.

---

Does all of the above sound like I'm on the right track?

Do the filters have a cubic metres per hour spec similar to the fans, that would ideally match?

Sorry for the ling winded reply!! Just trying to get my head around this, will carry on doing a bit of reading on this topic!

• Like 1

Just had a quick look at the specs of filters.

I believe this is the filter I have below:

150 x 600 Rhino pro carbon filter = 900 m/3

So running the fan at 50% would pull 750 cubic metres, so as you said above, this would be fine on 50%.

If I wanted to run the fan on full power I would need the following:

200 x 600 Rhino pro carbon filter = 1125 m/3

1500 cubic metres per hour * 0.75 = 1125m/3.

I think I understand now, does all that sound correct to you?

Cheers!

depends on what your fan output is rated at. have you any knowledge of its output or put the make into google and it should have a spec sheet somewhere, ahh would help if i looked, duh...1500. i find box fans are fairly optimistic tbh and most dont draw what they claim

you always want your filter rated higher than your fan. you should be good with the 8 inch (200) filter and your box fan

Edited by badbillybob

11 hours ago, badbillybob said:

depends on what your fan output is rated at. have you any knowledge of its output or put the make into google and it should have a spec sheet somewhere, ahh would help if i looked, duh...1500. i find box fans are fairly optimistic tbh and most dont draw what they claim

you always want your filter rated higher than your fan. you should be good with the 8 inch (200) filter and your box fan

Cheers mate!

Easily missed it because I was rambling on!

I was led to believe a box fan was the way to go for keeping the noise down, but this was 5-6 years ago and it looks like the whole market has moved on a long way since then!

I think I will look into getting an 8" filter to be on the safe side, really conscious about any smells getting out on this one as the extract will be out the back of my garage, which is roughly 2m from the neighbours fence. This is the only thing that's slightly concerning me at the moment, but I guess with a proper setup there should be no smell at all? (I hope! 🙏)

• Like 1