Growing Help For Beginner

CultivationNovice

Hi,

I am after some advice on growing in a garage.

I have a tent large enough to grow 20 low-rising plants and would appreciate some advice on the questions below:

1. I am not sure what lights to go with, my concerns are with halogens the fire risk and the cost, with LED's they are expensive to buy but the fire risk is minimal?

2. If I chose LED's how many LED lights/watts would I need to grow 20 plants?

3. If I use LED lights do I need to heat the garage, what do you do to keep the temperature right?

4. What would be the best extractor to use to reduce the smell?

5. What seeds are the best to use for a beginner, that is looking to gain a quick grow - 8-10 weeks, and will produce a good amount of cannabis from each plant?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

hi mate for your first grow i would oly do 4 mate , --- 20 plants you need about 6 LED'S   temps min 22c night min

you need to insulate the garage 100 ceotex or other make , cost approx £ 300 -500 wait till some other member will add ther coments

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CultivationNovice said:

5. What seeds are the best to use for a beginner, that is looking to gain a quick grow - 8-10 weeks, and will produce a good amount of cannabis from each plant?

This is pretty unrealistic :) 

A Cannabis plant will usually take around 6 weeks to mature from seed,

then you’ve got at least 7 - 8 weeks flowering.

Then you’ve got around 2 weeks for drying.

This is why a lot of us keep other plants and take clones from them,

as we can flower out clones straight away if we wish 👍

Unless you go for Autos,

but they often don’t finish in the time suggested by the breeders.

I don’t grow autos indoors,

as I don’t believe they’re generally going to be as good as most photoperiod seeds available.

I’m not suggesting anything,

but be aware that this site is for personal growers,

not those wishing to become a supplier ;) 

There’s lots on the market,

depends on your requirements regarding stealth or cost etc.

Get an EC extraction fan and pair it with a GAS controller,

again controllers vary in price depending on whether you want one that can run heaters and dehumidifiers etc.

3. If I use LED lights do I need to heat the garage, what do you do to keep the temperature right?

Depends how warm your garage is :) 

You’ll want an area that allows you to draw in warm air,

plants grow best under LEDs at around 30C with relative humidity level of around 70%(a bit lower towards harvest time).

This might be considered to be a bit excessive lol 

1. I am not sure what lights to go with, my concerns are with halogens the fire risk and the cost, with LED's they are expensive to buy but the fire risk is minimal?

There’s a fire risk with any electrical equipment.

It’s up to you to make sure that preventative measures have been taken.

A cheaper HPS setup might be better for you,

it all depends on budget.

Led growing comes with its own difficulties,

a lot will depend upon your ambient temperatures.

Do you live in the North or are you further south?

Atb

☯️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CultivationNovice said:

will produce a good amount of cannabis from each plant?

20 plants? For a beginner? Yeah right.

Though with the money you will have to fork out, you can get some of it back. If you get my drift? <_<

I'm thinking about taking up motor car racing and thought I'd start with Formula 1 or perhaps go across the pond an try my hand at the Indy 500!

Hey man get real! If you're serious about growing ganja you're in the correct area for some of the best advice available on the web, in other words, the best advice available.

As somebody else said try 4 or 2, Study some of the many diaries on here, look at all the sections about setting up/constructing/maintaining  a grow room. It;s ALL HERE have a look, do your research, THEN come back with your queries, you will get ALL the HELP you could ever need, I know!
So, don't be so fucking lazy, research the shit out it and you should then be well able to answer all your own original questions above.

Peace, stay safe, keep it green.

Boom Shiva, I'm away for a bong!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CultivationNovice said:

Hi,

I am after some advice on growing in a garage.

I have a tent large enough to grow 20 low-rising plants and would appreciate some advice on the questions below:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

1. Fire risk is minimal with either option if you take reasonable precautions. I have chosen LED over HID because of costs, not fire risk.

2. It depends how large you intend to grow the plants. I have grown 18 plants under 2 x 600W HID lights in NFT tanks. I'd go 100W LED per 2ft square minimum. (20 plants is quite loud).

3. You need to keep the temperatures above 15degrees with the lights off. Depending on where your garage is I'd guess you will need at least need a tube heater.

4. Decent carbon filter and you are OK.

5. For a quick grow I'd go Indica heavy strains. They are also better at lower temperatures (Afghani's, etc).

Good Luck.

• Like 3

Do as @Lux_Interior says, that's sound advice, I'd just add a couple more things.

Regarding temps, aim for 20 - 22 if you're looking for potency and terpines. Aim for 25 - 29 if you're looking for yield. The important thing is not to let it swing too much so keep it as consistent as you can and don't go below 15 or above 30.

Regarding strain, check out the Epsilon F1 from RQS. You should have bud 60 days after popping the seed 

God speed 

Edited by lildaveham
  • Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 15:12, geogeo said:

hi mate for your first grow i would oly do 4 mate , --- 20 plants you need about 6 LED'S   temps min 22c night min

you need to insulate the garage 100 ceotex or other make , cost approx £ 300 -500 wait till some other member will add ther coments

Thanks geogeo appreciate the advice!

On 07/04/2024 at 16:18, Shumroom said:

This is pretty unrealistic :) 

A Cannabis plant will usually take around 6 weeks to mature from seed,

then you’ve got at least 7 - 8 weeks flowering.

Then you’ve got around 2 weeks for drying.

This is why a lot of us keep other plants and take clones from them,

as we can flower out clones straight away if we wish 👍

Unless you go for Autos,

but they often don’t finish in the time suggested by the breeders.

I don’t grow autos indoors,

as I don’t believe they’re generally going to be as good as most photoperiod seeds available.

I’m not suggesting anything,

but be aware that this site is for personal growers,

not those wishing to become a supplier ;) 

There’s lots on the market,

depends on your requirements regarding stealth or cost etc.

Get an EC extraction fan and pair it with a GAS controller,

again controllers vary in price depending on whether you want one that can run heaters and dehumidifiers etc.

Depends how warm your garage is :) 

You’ll want an area that allows you to draw in warm air,

plants grow best under LEDs at around 30C with relative humidity level of around 70%(a bit lower towards harvest time).

This might be considered to be a bit excessive lol 

There’s a fire risk with any electrical equipment.

It’s up to you to make sure that preventative measures have been taken.

A cheaper HPS setup might be better for you,

it all depends on budget.

Led growing comes with its own difficulties,

a lot will depend upon your ambient temperatures.

Do you live in the North or are you further south?

Atb

☯️

Thanks Shumroom appreciate the points you have mentioned. I had no idea on the time frames involved but, it sounds more like 12-18 weeks. I will start off much smaller and look into a HPS set up.

I am based in the south. 

• Like 2

On 07/04/2024 at 18:31, NotGoingGoa said:

I'm thinking about taking up motor car racing and thought I'd start with Formula 1 or perhaps go across the pond an try my hand at the Indy 500!

Hey man get real! If you're serious about growing ganja you're in the correct area for some of the best advice available on the web, in other words, the best advice available.

As somebody else said try 4 or 2, Study some of the many diaries on here, look at all the sections about setting up/constructing/maintaining  a grow room. It;s ALL HERE have a look, do your research, THEN come back with your queries, you will get ALL the HELP you could ever need, I know!
So, don't be so fucking lazy, research the shit out it and you should then be well able to answer all your own original questions above.

Peace, stay safe, keep it green.

Boom Shiva, I'm away for a bong!

I now know that 20 plants is a lot for a beginner, so I will start off much smaller. 

Really appreciate your help, I wasn't being lazy just thought reaching out would initially give me some guidance as there is a lot to the process. I will have a look at some of the group content and will defo reach out to you in the future for your help.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 18:43, Lux_Interior said:

1. Fire risk is minimal with either option if you take reasonable precautions. I have chosen LED over HID because of costs, not fire risk.

2. It depends how large you intend to grow the plants. I have grown 18 plants under 2 x 600W HID lights in NFT tanks. I'd go 100W LED per 2ft square minimum. (20 plants is quite loud).

3. You need to keep the temperatures above 15degrees with the lights off. Depending on where your garage is I'd guess you will need at least need a tube heater.

4. Decent carbon filter and you are OK.

5. For a quick grow I'd go Indica heavy strains. They are also better at lower temperatures (Afghani's, etc).

Good Luck.

hey lux_interior,

thanks for your help with the above much appreciated.

Any carbon filter that you could specifically recommend? I was thinking of running a large pipe straight out of the roof to vent the smell. 

On 07/04/2024 at 20:16, darXound said:

Do as @Lux_Interior says, that's sound advice, I'd just add a couple more things.

Regarding temps, aim for 20 - 22 if you're looking for potency and terpines. Aim for 25 - 29 if you're looking for yield. The important thing is not to let it swing too much so keep it as consistent as you can and don't go below 15 or above 30.

Regarding strain, check out the Epsilon F1 from RQS. You should have bud 60 days after popping the seed 

God speed 

Thanks darXound! 

• Like 1

Just posted this on another thread but you might find it interesting too

Screenshot_20240408-2324133.png

Any carbon filter that you could specifically recommend? I was thinking of running a large pipe straight out of the roof to vent the smell. 

Any decent brand should see you good. I currently use Rhino's hobby range as it seems to be in a good money/quality range for a have-a-go-hero like myself. I tend to stick an air freshener up the exhaust duct too. Currently running 'White Linen', we currently smell like butter wouldn't melt.  ....

You can also get refillable carbon filters. I have never done that myself but it's very commendable and probably cheaper long term.

@CultivationNovice perhaps echoing someone else, not sure, anyway in a garage in winter/ autumn I’d go for HiD lights for the heat and led in summer/spring. Could save cash on electric. Depends how you go with grow area. If you build a room in garage from kingspan/celotex type stuff then that may not be applicable more so if you were to just stick a tent in the garage. Insulated room, then led is probably the way to go, as is being widely used by us hobby type grower and more tellingly by commercial growers in legal countries which they ain’t doing for fun.  To control environment which is probably the single most important element in growing anything indoors in you could do worse than to research h the subject on here and also check out AC INFINITY’s swag, as it is of a very good quality with deservedly good rep..

Above all else, have fun and put love into your plants, you will get it back in many ways.

Om Shanti stay safe. 

Edited by NotGoingGoa
  • Like 1