Anyone else has an ac infinity fan stop working?

Giventofry

Hi all,

My veg area fan has stopped working, ac infinity 4", there's light on the control when turned on but the fan won't come on and run.

I had a quick look, no loose connections as far as I can see so I'm a bit stumped.

I don't use it all the time, It's pretty new too.

I got it from one of the old site sponsors so it's not under warranty anymore, probably.

Anybody have any idea?

All the best,

Fry

Lots of failures reported for the 1st gen oscillating fans but I've yet to hear if one of the extractors dying. 

Fuse? 

What controller is it? Iirc without any controller at all it should just turn on at max speed, could be a way to determine wether it's the fan or the controller. 

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Lots of failures reported for the 1st gen oscillating fans but I've yet to hear if one of the extractors dying. 

Fuse? 

What controller is it? Iirc without any controller at all it should just turn on at max speed, could be a way to determine wether it's the fan or the controller. 

Hi @Slippy One

It's the wired in controller with the central light and it "steps: up as you press the light.

It's an extraction fan, didn't know they made oscillator fans,  sorry

It's weird as controller lights up but nothing in fan.

Thanks for your help!

Could be the controller, I doubt it's broken, but undo all the sides and check for cracks in the blades, if they turn, open the box where the wires go to see if they're all connected, failing that, it's either the fuse in the plug or the controller. Good luck, those manual dimmers are fairly cheap I reckon. 

• Thanks 1

Unplug the controller from the mains, take off the back and undo the two connectors for the fan (maybe take a photo beforehand so you know which wires go where) then put a  3 pin plug on the two fan wires and plug it in. If the fan works with a 3 pin plug then you know it's either the controller or the wiring to the controller that is fucked. 

Edited to add - This will only work if your fan runs on 240v like my Systemair RVKs, pretty sure the power cords for mine were just two core, a blue (neutral) and brown (positive). Anyway, one hot summer I did away with the Ecotech controller and just fitted a plug straight to the fan, running it full speed 24/7.

Edited by Saddam
  • Thanks 1

Cheers folks!!

Some good ideas there thank you.

I checked outside connections and the fuse already.

Looks like I'll be taking it all out and having a good look over weekend!!

Strangely, the plants have exploded with growth with the fan off so they are off to the flower room for a few weeks of veg before the switch.

Thanks again!!

Fry.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@MindSoup

@Slippy One

@Saddam

Hi all,

Absolutely bizarre!

I took the fan down, tried it on another extention lead to test it and it worked straight away!

Put it back up and into filter, same extention lead as before and it works now perfectly!!!

Cheers fellas!

Saved me 89£!!!

Getting clones cut now for 2nd area!!

Happy growing,

Fry.

• Like 1

Random AF, good to hear it's up and running again though. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1