Lab Results Show Your Cannabis May Be Incredible, And Not in a Good Way

Joolz

Cannabis flower sold in Colorado claims to contain much more tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, than it actually does, according to my findings published in the peer-reviewed journal PLOS ONE.

THC is the psychoactive compound that is derived when cannabis flower – commonly referred to as "bud" – is heated through smoking or cooking.

Why it matters

Accurate THC reporting is a linchpin for medical patients, recreational consumers and the overall integrity of the cannabis industry. Medical and recreational flower is generally the same – the difference is in testing requirements, price, taxes and purchase limits. Misleading potency information can disrupt medical dosages, misguide recreational users and erode trust in an industry striving for legitimacy.

Consumers often associate higher THC levels in cannabis flower with superior quality, potentially leading to overpayment for products that may not meet their expectations. This misconception can also create incentives for cultivators, testing labs and dispensaries to generate higher THC numbers – whether through cultivation techniques or through testing fraud.

Additionally, testing for toxins, pesticides and total yeast and mold can also fall victim to falsification. Recent reports reveal instances where labs in New York and other states have passed products that should have failed. This casts doubt on the credibility of the broader testing processes in place.

How I did my work

I gathered a total of 23 cannabis flower samples from 10 dispensaries across the northern Colorado Front Range, which includes Denver, Fort Collins and Garden City. The samples encompassed 12 strains, including indica, sativa and hybrid types, and varied in reported THC values.

Some had ranges, such as 12.8 percent-19.3 percent on the lower end and 28.07 percent-31.28 percent on the higher end, while others had single values, such as 16.4 percent or 17.4 percent.

I sent the samples to a third-party testing lab that does high-performance liquid chromatography, or HPLC. HPLC is a method to separate, identify and quantify components in mixtures based on their chemical properties. It is the most commonly used method in cannabis testing to analyze cannabinoids and detect contaminants. This can ensure product potency, safety and quality.

Approximately 70 percent of the labels reported THC percentages more than 15 percent higher than what was quantified through the lab.

Among the 23 flower samples analyzed, 18 displayed lower THC levels than reported – with 16 falling below 15 percent of the stated value, 13 falling below 30 percent of the reported THC and three samples falling below half of the reported THC. Notably, only one sample had slightly higher THC than reported. Four were within the reported range.

The observed disparity was not due to aging. When THC ages and degrades, it turns into cannabinol, or CBN. CBN was not found in measurable amounts in any of the samples, however, and further testing indicated stable THC levels over time.

What still isn't known

A fundamental query looms large: With advancements in cultivation techniques, including lighting, nutrients and selective breeding, has the potency of cannabis flower genuinely surged over the past 15 years?

THC levels averaged 9.75 percent back in 2009, based on testing of DEA-seized cannabis flower. Today, levels reportedly surpass 35 percent, though they're not as common as consumers have been led to believe. DEA-seized cannabis flower averaged 13.88 percent in 2019, which is closer to my observed mean of 14.98 percent than the reported mean of my samples, which was 20.27 percent-24.10 percent.

We also do not know who is responsible for the misinformation regarding inflated THC potency for cannabis flower. It could be cultivators or dispensaries selecting the best flowers to test. Sampling guidelines differ by state, but all require a random sample from the entire batch.

But there is little to no oversight when it comes to enforcing these guidelines. It could also be lab fraud. Facilities might manipulate the testing process or doctor numbers on the certificate of analysis to ensure repeat business from producers and distributors who set prices based on THC content, or to generate new customers.

What's next

I believe a critical next step is for the cannabis industry to educate consumers on how to make more informed choices by looking beyond mere THC percentages. People generally do not shop for wine or beer based on alcohol content.

Instead of focusing on THC content, a novice cannabis consumer might consider brands that are reputable or strains that have an aroma or flavor profile they enjoy. Eventually, they may move on to find a favorite breeder or grower, or a trusted dispensary that employs a knowledgeable budtender. A budtender is akin to a bartender in a dispensary setting, serving as a customer representative.

Cannabis consumers, industry players and the public must also continue to advocate for better oversight in sampling and testing to ensure safety, transparency and accountability and to foster trust from the cannabis community.

The Conversation

Anna Schwabe, Associate Lecture Professor of Modern Cannabis Science, University of Colorado Boulder

https://www.sciencealert.com/lab-results-show-your-cannabis-may-be-incredible-and-not-in-a-good-way

• Like 5

But it says 30% thc on the seed packet....:doh:

:yinyang:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Joolz said:

People generally do not shop for wine or beer based on alcohol content.

lol I did lol It was all about the pounds per pissed for me lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

48 minutes ago, Boojum said:

Nah bruv, I'm drinking this white lightning for the exquisite flavour.  Innit?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Boojum said:

I've never understood 'social drinking', like any other drug you consume till it has the desired effect, what's the point otherwise ?
I don't drink beer if I'm thirsty, if I'm thirsty I'll have a glass of water, I drink beer to get pissed 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I suppose it depends on whether you are seeking *void* or just getting a buzz on and playing keepy-uppy to stay at a more gentle level of tipsy for as long as you can.

Edited by MidgeSmith

10 minutes ago, Joolz said:

I've never understood 'social drinking', like any other drug you consume till it has the desired effect, what's the point otherwise ?
I don't drink beer if I'm thirsty, if I'm thirsty I'll have a glass of water, I drink beer to get pissed 😂

Yup, I drank to get drunk. That's why I couldn't (and still can't) be doing with 'alcohol free' wankery (and now there's not just alcohol free beer but alcohol free fucking gin, ironic given that gin became popular because adding the botanical flavouring was a way of making very strong, poor quality spirit palatable :rolleyes: ) which is as expensive as real gin :headpain: anyone who pays £12 for a bottle of alcohol free 'gin' needs a serious word with themself lol

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm not convinced about high THC strains, especially with the studies involving the "entourage effect". 

I'm going to be growing a few different 1:1 strains this year to see what the fuss is all about.

I fully understand the alcohol thing as I was guilty of it myself but thankfully I don't drink anymore, no tobacco, no alcohol just weed; that's not a pop at those that do enjoy a drink btw, just stating my own personal tastes.

"The entourage effect is a well-established and important mechanism when as much of the native plant is present when consumed. It refers to the fact that when multiple phytocannabinoids (CBD, THC, CBC, etc) bind to the receptors it will produce a larger effect than if the isolated parts are present alone." taken from here...https://www.restorativecbd.com/entourage-effect/

Edited by Pepe Ramon
  • Like 2

Just look at the jungle boys stuff. Most of them packs say they are 30% thc but most of them are shit

• Haha 1

I don’t either mate but have tried to see what the fuss is and they are shit 

• Like 1

I'll be honest, if I see a pint in the pub for £4 and it's 4.2% and there is another the same price for 5.4% the liklihood is I'll go for the stronger one.

As for Cannabis then no, just because you know they make the figures up. A pack of seeds could throw anything at you, surely environment and all that shit would make a difference too? Would growing the same cut under a 20w cfl be as potent as one grown under a full spectrum light? I don't know the answer but I'm guessing not.

No it wouldn't produce the same potency. I have heard of growers with huge facilities in US but for testing purposes they also have a small grow at home that they grow the same cuts in and use those ones for testing since they quality is always better in a smaller well looked after setup compared to a room with 100s or 1000s of plants 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pepe Ramon said:

"The entourage effect is a well-established and important mechanism when as much of the native plant is present when consumed. It refers to the fact that when multiple phytocannabinoids (CBD, THC, CBC, etc) bind to the receptors it will produce a larger effect than if the isolated parts are present alone." taken from here...https://www.restorativecbd.com/entourage-effect/

I've been smoking weed since the late 80's, and I'm not sure if it's me getting jaded - or if the weed is actually less interesting in terms of buzz than it used to be.... subjectivity most weed is fuckin' dull these days!

I suppose, if a large section of the seeds are from companies selecting based on one aspect like it's the be all and end all (and good marketing, a simple message), it'd tend toward that blah if this 'mechanism' really is a thing...and to my mind it makes sense it would be. :stoned:

ETA

My favourite plants over the years weren't at all from stable lines, also plays into that!

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

I've been smoking weed since the late 80's, and I'm not sure if it's me getting jaded - or if the weed is actually less interesting in terms of buzz than it used to be.... subjectivity most weed is fuckin' dull these days!

I suppose, if a large section of the seeds are from companies selecting based on one aspect like it's the be all and end all (and good marketing, a simple message), it'd tend toward that blah if this 'mechanism' really is a thing...and to my mind it makes sense it would be. :stoned:

Me too, from the mid 80s and I think you are probably right.  Perhaps it is because we were smoking landrace flower and resin , then the first indoor hybrids were different to their landrace ancestors and exciting. 

I wonder if we are just used to it all or if the strains have been so crossed that they've nothing too exciting about them anymore.  The same as a mozzarella and tomato salad can be more sensational than a stew where a million different flavours combine, or an instrumental solo can be more fulfilling than an orchestral piece.

Ironic really since the entourage effect is such an important part of cannabis.

• Like 2