Loft growers (power)

Cocoab

Hi all, 

Just a quick question for loft growers regarding power. Is it ok to just run an extension reel up to the loft to run everything? Don’t fancy phoning an electrician to get sockets put in the loft but a bit paranoid incase it’ll draw too much power and cause a fire or something. Cheers!

You might be better off waiting for a more professional opinion and also maybe a little more info on what you'd be running off the extensions but I've done it for many years. I wouldn't say mine is a massive grow and I keep my extension totally unreeled, it stops the cables over heating I believe.

Most I've ran is 1kw of hid, 6 inch extractor, 5 inch intake, oscillating fans and an oil rad (800w) and a couple of heat mats.

I don't know who's very knowledgeable on the electrics nowadays on here, but I'm sure someone will be along soon enough to tell you if it's safe or not.

• Like 1

Would only be running a 150w led extractor small rad etc mate. Think I’d be good? 

I wouldn't have thought twice myself especially with what you're planning on using. My only advise would be get that loft as insulated as you can, makes for a much nicer environment.

36 minutes ago, KC said:

I wouldn't have thought twice myself especially with what you're planning on using. My only advise would be get that loft as insulated as you can, makes for a much nicer environment.

thanks mate, will do. Only working with 5ft of bight though so it’s going to be a bit of a nightmare. Rafters are going right across the middle at 400 centres.

• Like 1

Yeah I can imagine that's going to be a challenge, mind you it's more than some get.

Best of luck with it :lucky:

• Like 1

my loft power socket I've worked out is taken off the lighting circuit,  that runs my lights, 2 x 600w hps and 1x 454w led (using heavy duty timer and 4 way contact switch)

Everything else is ran off a heavy duty 4 way extension lead going up from the bedroom, ensure it's fully unwinded. I've ran 2 x 1500w heaters, a second light,  extractors, fans, heat matts, dehumidifier, well over 4kw all on and it was fine, that was also splitting multiple extensions off the real 😮

But don't take my advice lol I'm not an electrician

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was fortunate to have a double socket already in my loft, this is spurred of my 1st floor sockets. 

I swapped the double socket for a fused spur, like you have on a washing machine etc. From that I wired x6 double sockets. Everything house side of the spur socket is safe, if anything goes wrong loft side the fuse should blow, killkng the power before anything (worst case scenario).

If I was you I'd have it done properly pal, just say you want a supply with a double socket putting in so you can have an Ariel booster plugged in up there.

I could run a combined 3000w but am definitely nowhere near that.

We have several electricians on the boards I would certainly wait for one of them to chime in before doing anything.

Running a grow off the lighting ring will be a very big no no as the draw is several orders of magnitude higher than the circuit will be built for.

Not an electrician but looking to become one.

E2A

A quick Google says you can run 1440w TOTAL (including your actual lights) my modest loft grow uses more than double that at times

Edited by NezA

You in a house/flat - try to locate 2.5mm cable in the loft it will be written on the cable 9 times out of 10 it will be a ring main ( all depends on house/flat and the floors concrete/wood) wether cables are run under the floor or through the celings Grab your self a 32mm 2 gang patress and 2 gang socket.  Cut the cable and install a 32mm 2 gang patress. 3mm earth sleeve. YouTube installing a socket if you get stuck. 

just make sure the power is off

I've used oil heaters , 4x 135w tube heaters, tried drawing hot air from boiler cupboard, heat matts, ultra flat heaters. I always struggled to stay above 18c. Installed a fast warm underfloor heating kit. 300w I never go below 22c now which is nice. Comes with a stat and all programmed environment has been spot on at last 👍🏻 but few others on here get it right in lofts using the others above.

Edited by Bulldogbill91