Autopots

teetster

Anyone out there using a feed timer with their autopot system? I’m thinking a bit of dry back would be better than sitting in water all the time especially in the hot months.

Just about to install a 4 pot system and have been wondering the same. Zero gravity timer - I know people go for the PlantIt one but last time I looked, there were some cheaper generic ones out there too (for waterbutts).

I am not sure whether to try a run without. Also trying to decide whether to run all coco or use a perlite mix as Autopot recommend... They must have done a couple of trials like...

53 minutes ago, iShouldCoCo said:

cheaper generic ones

Kingfisher run-time/frequency timers are absolutely bombproof :yep:

Ive been using the same one for a decade or so in my poly tunnel, think ive changed the battery twice iirc.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Every summer I have issues with root rot and bud rot caused by plants sitting in warm water. I’ve tried silver bullet but it’s not made any difference so I thought about setting a timer for a 15 min feed at lights on and see from there. But making sure there’s no feed in the pot at lights out. 

I got one of those en route @BilgePump 👍

@teetster I was thinking of running mine in for a bit longer or multiple timed feeds during lights on but I don't know how they'll want to drink until I get underway.

I guess if I was going to run pure coco all the way down, that would wick and saturate the pot quite quickly but I'm undecided on whether to have a few cm of perlite or clay balls in the bottom... Or even a coco/perlite mix..

• Like 1

Yes, it’s a wait and see as to how long and how many feeds to give but so long as they don’t sit in water overnight (lights out) it can only help having dry spells. 

I will put a single layer of clay balls in, I used to put 2” in but if I’m timing the feeds it may be a disadvantage. Then I’ll fill with 60/40 to the brim. I’m using the 16ltr fabric, dirt pots. They are the same diameter for the pot socks , and I do think 20ltrs are too big. Just my opinion as having used both.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2024 at 11:58, BilgePump said:

Kingfisher run-time/frequency timers are absolutely bombproof :yep:

Ive been using the same one for a decade or so in my poly tunnel, think ive changed the battery twice iirc.

Think they’re ok for indoor use? Can you hook them up to water pipe (push fit)? I’ve got mains water in my shed, just been paranoid about leaks.

@Flamedodger it comes with a ¾in female threaded input and the equivalent male output, im pretty sure you could make it fit without it leaking.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@iShouldCoCo have a Google of female hosetails and pick one with the necessary dimensions :yep:

Also grab some jubilee clips if you haven't already.

• Like 1