Could this be useful?

pitchatent

Hi everyone,

I’ve been growing more regularly lately and although my drying environment isn’t terrible, it does fluctuate a little and isn’t entirely ideal.

I was looking at the ‘herbs now herb dryer’ which seems to essentially be a much lower heated form of dehydrator - now, I absolutely understand why slow drying is preferred and heated dehydrators are not a good idea, but the herbsnow machine seems to be really well spoken of by people who have tried it and had good results.  It runs at a lower heat than typical dehydrators apparently.

So…this brings me to my actual question (thanks for staying with me this long) - a friend of mine has this dehydrator which has a temp setting that can go as low as 20c.  Given that 21c is generally the optimum temp I think for drying, could I use this thing set to 20c with some success?  She is selling it second hand so I could get it for a reasonable price or even free if I’ll actually make use of it.  Crazy?  Or if the herbsnow dryer works, why wouldn’t this?

The 20c food dehydrator I can pick up cheap or free from the big river.

The herbsnow dryer.

Opinions and thoughts gratefully welcomed!  As I say, I know ideally I’d slow dry in a tent etc but for a reliable solution without over drying I do wonder if I couldn’t get some half decent results with this thing set at 20c.

Edited by lildaveham
Please don’t post external links.

Hello mate I always thought the best drying temps were 16-18c so don't think the dehydrator would be any good and at 800w I'd prefer to use air con to get better temps. The herbs now dryer seems to cheap to me i wouldn't risk putting my bud in something like that seems like it would be one of those things you would use once and bin. I like to go for a 14 day dry  at 16-18c which is easy for 8 months of the year  until the summer months kick in then it's a lot harder.  The wine cooler conversion on here would be the better way to go 

• Like 1

I’ve one of those cheapo nylon fabric wardrobes from the big Swedish furniture shop down the road sited in the loft, wee oil rad plugged into a thermostat and a 5” fan and filter with the fan turned down almost zero. Worked a treat in December, not sure about the warmer months. Perhaps if you’ve got a loft it might be an option to set something up. Peace

3 hours ago, NotGoingGoa said:

not sure about the warmer months

They're really bad in summer, can ruin a crop in a day. I did it before, luckily only one plant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pitchatent said:

‘herbs now herb dryer’

you can buy the exact same food dehydrator for less than 40 quid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KC said:

They're really bad in summer, can ruin a crop in a day. I did it before, luckily only one plant.

good to get heads up on that. Tell me @KC how do you get on in the loft for temps in summer months? Are you now LED also? Cheers mukka

• Like 1

@NotGoingGoa Yes I went led in my loft a few years back. I only run 12/12 up there at night time and the worst summers see me hitting 32c lights off and about the same lights on. It's the best time of year for me as I stuggle with cold most of the time.

@pitchatent All the food dehydraters I found seem to be a minimum of 35c, what is the make of the one your friend is selling?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC said:

went led in my loft a few years back. I only run 12/12 up there at night time and the worst summers see me hitting 32c lights off and about the same lights on. It's the best time of year for me as I stuggle with cold most of the time

Thanks for that, that's me just swapped over to LED at the start of January think I'll be using HID again next winter if I need to have a winter grow going, seems a bit ointless have to chuck heat at at it lights on which I have had to quite a bit, of course then again, I am in the frozen wastes of Jockistan and one tends to expect it to be rather on the chilly side in the depths of winter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC said:

@pitchatent All the food dehydraters I found seem to be a minimum of 35c, what is the make of the one your friend is selling?

it’s a Kwasyo 10 tray dehydrator, info says it goes to 20c and has 5c increments

apologies for the external links in the original post admin, won’t happen again 

thanks for taking the time to offer an opinion everyone! 

• Like 1

An acquaintance used to dry his weed in a dehydrator, it was awful. 

Might want to look at this thread, it's an absolute mess of people asking the same questions over and over but it's worth wading through it. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, pitchatent said:

Given that 21c is generally the optimum temp I think for drying, could I use this thing set to 20c with some success?

Not from what I understand, most people seem to aim for 16-18, but in my fridge I'll sometimes dry as low as 14. Colder takes longer, but it preserves more smell/flavour.