Root Riot Cubes and Root it 26w Prop light

Hi all

After a failed attempt to germinate some beans ( maybe the soil was too hot) I have invested in a 26w LED prop light and a tray of cubes.

@BilgePump. I know you are a fan of these cubes. 

Can anyone chip in as to how these work? Do you soak as normal and drop them in?  I assume when the plants root out the cubes they then can just be transplanted to large pots?

Also the prop light. Can this be very close to the seedlings? It's a 6500k spectrum LED prop light.

Thanks 

• Like 2

Hello Larry, I use the root riots, I have just started a diary off inthe seedstockers forum. I soak mine with 2.5 ml per 0.5ltr of water. I then just pop the seeds in and tear a bit of the root riot off to cover the pre made hole and leave them in the prop in the dark. Just been up to check and I have signs of life already :) I have just stuck my bivvy light on top of the prop for a few days until they are all up and I can switch the main light on.

Edited by The Villan
  • Like 1

Pissing it down m8  my lads up in south molton fishing and has just sent me pictures of the bivvy and rods covered in thick snow.

Just about to book flights for December.....fuck this English winter :)

large.20240328_0923042642.jpg.dbc4ea0a8546b290e487d7ca8932f721.jpg

large.IMG_E1409.jpg.2f94faf447da1eea151eaba862ec29a1.jpgYes I know. Not really an option for us to do the whole Winter. We'll make a decision later in the year. 

I love a root riot, for seedlings i just use em straight out of the bag no presoak or anything, maybe a touch of very dilute seaweed if they're a little dry.

For cuttings however i presoak in again diluted seaweed but prior to this i bring my e.c up to 0.4 with calmag.

:yinyang:

@BilgePump

Any particular way you put the seeds in? A dim question I know but it's always something that has piqued my curiosity. I mean does the bean actually turn round in the soil to look for the light if it's placed in upside down? I really don't want to fuck these seeds up this time.

Assuming I understand correctly:

Put seed in the cube. Put cube in a heated prop (in the dark) when seed appears whack my prop light above said seed. When roots appear at the bottom of the cube, transplant into a larger pot? Or do I plant seed in cube, put into the prop with the light on above it?

• Like 1

Be careful using a propagator for seeds,

it’s easy to end up with 100% humidity in a propagator.

Either have the lid at a very slight angle or open vents if it has them 👍

Atb

☯️

• Like 3

Larry, I just pop the seeds in any which way. When using the paper towel method I used to put them in pointy end down so that they didnt come out all squigly, laws of gravity I think.

e2a

No not as soon as the tap root shows, I like to have an abundance of roots showing before transplanting.

large.rootage1.jpg.9c00390048071356533adf7aa65a30e5.jpg

Edited by The Villan
  • Like 1

I Use root riots  never do anything with them just take them out the bag and use em.

5 minutes ago, Devon Cream said:

I Use root riots  never do anything with them just take them out the bag and use em.

I understand that DC, it's the beans prior to going in.

Doing a Lamb Achari this weekend from the Bible. It could be the best curry ever to adorn our table.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Larry Badgeley said:

I understand that DC, it's the beans prior to going in.

Doing a Lamb Achari this weekend from the Bible. It could be the best curry ever to adorn our table.

I need to get back to it works been so busy don’t have the time but I will next week . I’m pretty hooked on the tandoori chicken the now.