Long term storage ( underground?)

Skit Rat

So what is the best way to store weed and store it safely away from the home I.e in the garden or underground?

Any one want to share their methods or any tips?

I was hoping to harvest a good haul this year to be self sustainable but not wanting to have the weed in the home , anybody got any ideas .

Was thinking

● dry and cure few weeks

● Vac pac / Grove bag

●into airtight container (o-ring)

●Moisture control (color changing silica,food grade)

● 2ft down 

Does this sound good , will moisture form inside much will I need to oven cook the silica to dry often? 

Vac pack or grove bag from week dry plus week burping?

Grovebags is a good start, then you'll need to keep it all very cool, like 18C or below. Don't bother digging. 

• Like 2

@Slippy One hi thnx for advice , all noted , one question.

no digging as in not needed the depth?

Could it be stored in the wilds above ground?

Nah just that burying your stash is mostly unnecessary. 

If it's dried properly I think I'd just vac seal it and put it in another airtight container. A week dry and a week burping is prob not enough, and it would have to go in an airtight container if it was outside.

Can you bury it on your property or are you taking it somewhere off the premises? Hard to bury something (or dig it up) without leaving traces unless it's in eg your veg plot!

Are you planning a pirate style dig somewhere really out of the way where you have to find it again by '10 paces North then 6 paces South from the blasted oak tree' kind of thing? 😁

When I had some to hide I kept it under a loose floorboard in the house, I've got v long arms and I put it as far along as I could reach. The whole family stepped over it every day, they'd have snaffled it if they knew 🤣 I had to wait until everyone was out to get some.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Probably take it to a site that I'm familiar with.

Yes away in the wilds .

• Like 1

If you bury it deep enough won’t there be less swings in temp over the seasons?

• Like 2

i bury mine. its in a blue "escobar" lol barrel with airtight clip lid.

i vac pack the weed first and put it in the barrel which is buried. make sure you use a decent vac sealer and dont fully vac it so it gets crushed.  i was doing 9 oz bags

u.v degrades weed and underground, its kept cool. lasts a year easily

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Double or even triple vac seal after your 100% sure you’ve got the moisture content down to an acceptable level. Make sure you change gloves after sealing the first one so as not to transfer any smells onto the outside that a sniffer dog could potentially pick up on. Stick it under some floor boards, making sure there’s no hot water pipes nearby.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 19:15, MrSlatersParrot said:

A week dry and a week burping is prob not enough

Well it's definitely not enough. Just wanting to stress this as burying your weed after a week dry is going to end up in tears.

Posted (edited)

Okay I was being abit blazeý , but yh get it dry and the rest is what in interested in , thnx I can dry weed , a week to 2 weeks where I am depending on rh and if I run a dehu at 55% for first 2 or 3 days then at 60% for a few days to 10 days then paper bag , hope now that's put that to bed. 

Should really be precise all the time on here because u get scrutinized else haha

Edited by Skit Rat

Tbf your post also says 'dry and cure a few weeks', but it did rather sound like you were aiming to finish drying it while it was buried with the grove bags and moisture control with silica you mentioned. Have you tried this before somewhere you could check it? I've not heard of it myself but I bet someone else has tried it.

Looks like badbillybob is the only one who's actually buried it   🙂

• Like 1

I like the idea of a wine fridge and heat sealed Grovebags, which regulate their own range of humidity. Put it on minimum settings all year (hopefully around 16-18C), good for any heatwaves and minimum electric in the winter months. Unless you're looking for maximum stealth that it, if yes, then bury it but as has been mentioned, it could all end in tears, and if busted, don't you think the fuzz would take note of that large hole/mound/freshly re-dug area in your backyard? :) 

Any longer than 1-2 years, you really need to reduce the buds down to hash first. Beyond that with flower, you'll need to use a canning machine, one that replaces the air with nitrogen, then frozen. 

The idea is not to store bud for too long, so you can soon endure the trials of growing again, i.e don't grow so much next time, just grow enough to not worry about it until you need to grow again! lol 

• Thanks 1