Clay Balls Watering

NormanNugget

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but hey ho. 

I’m aware that a lot of people advise watering soil with a fine sprinkler rose to avoid compacting the soil, this makes perfect sense.

The problem I have is this takes ages and my sprinkler rose often clogs. 

I’m wondering whether anyone uses a thin layer of clay balls on top and whether this helps to disperse the water and protect the soil. I’m also using airpots, hopefully the clay balls will help to direct the water into the soil. With this method I hope I can just pour around a litre of water straight into the pot and not worry about compaction. 

Any other faster watering tips / ideas welcome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NormanNugget said:

The problem I have is this takes ages and my sprinkler rose often clogs.

What's clogging it ... ?

1 hour ago, NormanNugget said:

I’m wondering whether anyone uses a thin layer of clay balls on top and whether this helps to disperse the water and protect the soil

I've used clay balls on the top before and this time no balls and found no difference the soil will still compact, but that's with normal plastic pots .... I use the balls on my houseplants mainly to look nicer. 😀

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, handysmoker said:

What's clogging it ... ?

When I use Biosys there are some small gritty bits in it. TBH the rose is also old and seems to just gunk up..

I thought about a sack of the balls for houseplants too, supposedly they keep

fungus gnats down and also help to stop

water evaporating too quickly.

• Like 1