Opinions/Advice needed

Celtic voyager

Afternoon all...

I'd be interested in members opinions on the use of perlite, for back garden grows, in pots.

Is it really needed?

There's a bit of for and against the use if it, for varying reasons. 

I will be using 10lt pots for autos and 20 lt for photos, fill with MPC.

All thoughts and advice on matter, appreciated 

Have you checked out @OldFord planting material?

I’ve never heard him mention perlite.

I often read that he uses Hay as one of the main ingredients in his medium :) 

Perhaps he’ll pop in and share his recipes ;) 

Atb

☯️

• Like 3

@Shumroom

The main reason I was ask, is, that I read, that the plant could loose a fair bit of feeding, through run off because of the perlite, don't know if that's true or not.

• Like 1

I don’t know,

in the past I’ve used perlite and sometimes vermiculite to increase the drainage in compost mixes that I’ve made up for indoor growing.

But nowadays I grow in coco and I know it doesn’t need anything added to it.

There are probably other more appropriate things you can add to compost to keep the compost in the right air/moisture ratio to avoid it becoming anaerobic etc.

Atb

☯️

• Like 2

@Celtic voyager I've always bought my compost with perlite already mixed in. I have tried without, and I did notice the soil was very compacted. What with me being a lazy bastard, when the soil inevitably dried out it became a bit of a nightmare tbh. @OldFord and his hay seems like an idea. I'm giving it a try this year

• Like 4

I find cheap MPC gets rather compacted if the plants are in the same pots for a long time, you could use grit if you don't fancy perlite, but something to improve drainage and aeration is a good idea I think.

I wouldn't add anything to decent composts like eg Sinclair Potting and Bedding because it's made with sphagnum peat which is nice and open, and has grit in as well. I don't know what their peat reduced stuff is like, but soon we won't be able to buy peat at all!

• Like 2

Buckwheat or rice hulls do the same job but actually contribute towards soil life, easier to work with and dispose of too.

• Like 4

coco is a better option and cheaper 

Perlite floats and when i used to grow indoors, the first few inches of soil with the perlite would end up having all the perlite float to the top and bunch up

Outside, this would blow off the top so would lose more over time.

Not sure if perlite breaks down overtime and if dumped outdoors when finished with and it don't breakdown it's bad for the environment probably 

Just my opinion 

Coco is better

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, crazy-sheep said:

Not sure if perlite breaks down overtime and if dumped outdoors when finished with and it don't breakdown it's bad for the environment probably 

It's just an expanded natural stone so probably not. I don't believe there are any chemicals used in the process. More risky to the lungs if the dust is inhaled regularly, or so I'm told.

• Like 6

Not used it since OT1 said its not needed and what do u know the dude was right.

• Like 8

I usually add some perlite into my potting mix for greenhouse growing, but I also add about 30% coco coir too. Horticultural grit is handy as well, I put an inch in the bottom of the pot to aid drainage, and another inch as top dress: helps reduce evaporation and stops pot drying out so quickly. Also seems to keep at least some snails and slugs at bay...

• Like 3

I have not used perlite ,  potting grit & hay is about as adventurous as i get.

as we all grow in varying micro climates - try a few varying methods til you nail down what works for you mucker 👍

Took me a few seasons & lots of varying mixes til i nailed down my go to and even then i vary it dep on how i think the seasons gonna play out.      

• Like 6