Choosing the right pots

mystic_roots

So back when I first started growing I used fabric pots, which were ok for a few grows until they stain from nutrients and what not, which is when I swapped over to air pots. The one thing I don't like about fabric and air pots is that they dry all round the side and quite quickly too even when they don't need any additional water.

I am considering just buying some normal plastic pots but wondering if people have a preference as to what they grow in and what size container? I should be using BioBizz allmix this year and have 2 strains of autoflowers so I'm looking at around a 17L pot per plant but open to suggestions. Space is somewhat limited so can't really fit any bigger pots into the tent!

I use square pots.

Its worth reading this to help choose suitable size pots.

On 20/02/2011 at 21:27, Owderb said:

This question keeps cropping up nigh on every week so this is how I look at it although there is no hard and fast rules. How you choose to grow also determines plant numbers and pot size. I.E Screen of green(scrog) or Sea of green (sog).

I think the easiest way to work out the best pot size and plant numbers is to first look at what bulb you are using, and I'm using hps bulbs as my base and a 3ft x 3ft or 4ft x 4ft space, and whether plant numbers are a concern for you or just not practical

Work out how many ounces that bulb could and will produce if your grow practices are good. Averaging 1grm/watt as a rough guide

EG..600grms = 21oz so if using 9 plants 600/9 = 66grms/plant which is just over 2oz. A 6.5ltr pot whether in compost or coco will produce that size of plant consistently if like I said earlier its grown in a good environment. I cant see the point of using big pots if only needing a couple of ounces per plant. By the time a large pot has rooted out the plant will probably be too big and you will have had to top or supercrop to keep the height down plus its just wasted time

If using 4 plants then you would look for them to yield over 5oz/plant so then you would need at least an 11-15ltr if in compost but you would get away with 11ltr in coco. Coco tends to out yield compost by more when you get to the bigger pots. Training would mostly be used for smaller numbers to fill the canopy

You also have to take into consideration vegging times. Obviously if you need a crop off quick then its no good using big pots because your vegging times would be longer so smaller pots would be the order of the day. Smaller pots are better also when height becomes a problem

If using sea of green then you could if practical fit 100 plants in there in 1ltr pots but it should still yield the same as 4 plants seeing its the light that governs your yield to a great extent but you would have no vegging time

At the moment I have a 1000w in a 4ft x 4ft space. Ive put 16 plants in coco in there and I'm looking at around 2oz per plant so chose 6.5 ltr pots

Ive also yielded 35oz out of 5 plants in 11ltrs of coco with run to waste watered once a day with a decent run off

So there's a few things that you need to look at before deciding, and then decide on what's practical for you

Hope this makes it a tad clearer

ED to add....This is not written with auto$ in mind

Owd

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is just my opinion, based on trial and error. Fabric pots, Airpots or any other root pruning pots work best with mediums without added aeration, such as clay, perlite, coco or whatever. With such an additive, the watering becomes too frequent and it's tough to know when to water or how much to water. I've found these pots work wonders when used as part of a wicking or drip system. 

Hand watering though, it's easier to figure out when to water in a solid plastic pot by either assessing the weight or by using some kind of moisture meter. The solid pots are easier to work with when considering root temps.

These days I add a thin layer of pebbles to the base then cover with a breathable fabric with soil on top. Solid plastics all the way.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, inceywinceyspider said:

I use square pots.

It’s worth reading this to help choose suitable size pots.

Missed the original from @Owderb  nice one for reposting. 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2024 at 16:59, inceywinceyspider said:

I use square pots.

Its worth reading this to help choose suitable size pots.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

If you enjoyed this thread,

you should check out this one ;) 

lollol

Atb

🫠

• Haha 2