Seeds stored at room temperature still viable?

dingo bingo

Hi everyone,

After a bit of a break I should be soon helping a pal start up again so excited to get it going. We've got some Maltezerz and Iced Grapefruit feminised seeds that have been sitting at room temperature for about 7 - 8 months. Will they still be viable or will being left at room temperaute have harmed them?

Cheers, DB.

It will all depend on the overall age of the seeds. 7-8 months isnt that long for them to be at room temp but if they were already old before you bought them then they might not be viable. Only way to know is try to germinate them. There’s various methods for germing old seeds. Maybe store them in the fridge until you need to germ them just in case.

What colour are they?

• Like 1

Totally fine, germinate and find out. They’re cheap enough if you avoid instagram breeders 😁

• Like 2

Depends how they're stored. If they're in a bag or blister pack, might have issues. If they're sealed properly with silica to absorb moisture, they should be good. I recently popped 10 Dinafem seeds (approx 3 years old and room temp for at least 1 year) and three RQS seeds which were newer and stored at room temp for a year. The Dinafem had 100% success rate, the RQS in blister pack had 2 fails out of three

• Like 1

Apparently 100 year old nettle seeds are still viable...

There's only one way to know if your seeds are any good ,soaking them for 24hrs may help.

• Like 2

I just germed some baccy seeds ive been improperly storing for 10+ years, absolutely no problems.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Why not start a thread asking the good folks here if your car's going to start in the morning? :wallbash:

• Haha 1

Should've said that they've been in the original breeder's packs the whole time (G13's test tube thing and Female Seeds' sealed packet).

17 hours ago, Saddam said:

Why not start a thread asking the good folks here if your car's going to start in the morning? :wallbash:

Tw@t.

I've always stored seeds in the fridge as advised - no idea what success rate is likely with seeds stored at room temp. and I'd rather ask for advice here before potentially wasting weeks waiting for unviable seeds to germinate and then also potentially having two sets of seeds weeks apart in growth if I had to buy a few more later.

• Like 1

You're ok for a year as long as you dont leave them on top of the radiator or something. They will last longer, 10 years even if you're super lucky.

I wouldn't wait much more than a week for any seed to germinate before chucking the towel in.

Sometimes old seeds come up mutated and that can cause a slow start but they often grow out of it one way or another.

• Like 1