Blumats in coco

leafsta

Just received my new set of blumats and I'm just about to pot up in to my final 12.5l airports that will be filled with Coco... But it's been a long time since I grew with Coco and one thing I can't remember is how often to water after potting up (until roots have filled out pot) - do I treat it like soil on a wet dry cycle up until a good root ball has formed? I guess if that's the case then I shouldn't set the blumats up until they've reached that point?

Also for reference, I'll be using osmocote for feck me

I leave them after potting up for a day, then another good soak, leave 1 more day, then water as normal, once or how ever many times a day you want. Fully damp coco is the perfect air/water ratio, just make sure you only use water with the blumats, they won't carry nutrients. Def plan for runoff disposal, blumats are a learning curve with a bumpy ride. lol

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 1

I had always been under the impression that Blumats didn't work particularly well in coco but there are several grow diaries on this site that prove me wrong. Not being able to run nutrients through them is another problem. I am considering an irrigation system, to allow weekends away, but I'm currently leaning more towards drippers rather than Blumats.

I currently hand water using coco. A wet dry cycle is what I try to do. Coco tends to dry quicker than compost. However, a small plant in a large pot won't need (or enjoy) drenching.

@Lux_Interioryeah that’s kinda what my Blumats are, drippers. You can tweak them enough to leave several days or longer, as long as you have a drain which is essential in my opinion. And water only is the best way, so you’ll need to feed the coco with beanstalk or osmocote first. 👍🏼

• Like 1

You can run canna salt feeds through them no worries, BPB did it for years :hippy:

• Like 1

I tried using vega through blumats, had a nice tank with a pump to circulate etc, it grew snot and started blocking the pipes, I think it was too warm, i wanted to try again with the tank kept cooler and got a sterilising pump but decided to sack it off and hand water because it's too much bollocks if it goes wrong, I dont think I'd try again with anything but plain water now.

34 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

You can run canna salt feeds through them no worries, BPB did it for years :hippy:

Yeah not recommended for the average user, I’m not sure why but the salt buildup would be problematic in the lines, possibly messing with the carrots, and depending on how much runoff is programmed in, salt buildup on the roots. I wouldn’t dare from what I’ve read.. 😆

Why not just have open flow rings?

Very little chance of blockages and can be used drain to waste or recirculating.

Set on a 24 hour timer they work perfectly using any medium and can be left for long(ish) periods.

I only use two spouts per ring but that number is easily increased if needed.

large.SSCN0973.JPG.ec70cb3b46284e002f79f1a88a5b593f.JPG

Good luck...:yep:

• Like 6

On 14/03/2024 at 13:06, Slippy One said:

Yeah not recommended for the average user, I’m not sure why but the salt buildup would be problematic in the lines, possibly messing with the carrots, and depending on how much runoff is programmed in, salt buildup on the roots. I wouldn’t dare from what I’ve read.. 😆

Well like I say it can be done, and it's documented on here by multiple users.