Water quality and adjustments.

Sid the Seedkiller

I'm starting out my journey in coco, and I know water quality is a thing in this game, so I've been doing some digging and found this.

large.94_copy_5927x3935.jpg.bf65253ba7cf905f60f4ed2c9dd114af.jpglarge.93_copy_1522x1849.jpg.0d3f899c8b07c640d503ba0d30a001fd.jpg

So from this I'm getting that my water has on average 50.6 mg/l calcium and 4.4 mg/l magnesium. Which by my reckoning is a ratio of 11.5/1

Is that correct? Any thoughts on how I should treat my water? Cal Mag? Epsom Salts? None of the above?

Edit, I'm using Canna Coco A+B, Rhizontic and Cal Mag, in Canna Coco Pro+. My water is 0.3EC from tha tap and Canna advise to bring it up to 0.4EC with the C mag. 

Thanks in advance. Sid. 

Edited by Sid the Seedkiller
  • Like 1

The longer the conversation about water quality/cal mag ratios goes on the less I really know TBH. 

Saw this the other day 

• Like 1

@MindSoup nice one mate, thanks for bringing that to my attention. 

Sid.

@MindSoup I see what you mean. What I took from that was that as long as your PH is on you should be ok, but some people say they definitely need it, and others say its useless...

And now I'm more concerned about my PH down....

Like I say mate I'm at a point that I just don't even know anymore lol. All I can say is that if you  have exactly the same setup and water as me and do everything exactly the way I do it you don't need it :hippy:

• Haha 1

Ffs :bangin:lol 

Since your water has 50.6 Mg/l of Calcium it would require 16.9mg/l of Magnesium,

but it already has 4.4mg/l of Magnesium.

So you’d only need to increase it by 12.5mg/l.

There’s a few ways you could do this.

Mono Magnesium,

Epsom salts etc.

Coco :) 

Atb

☯️

• Haha 1

@Shumroom I can do basic math, I just don't know how to convert that into physical quantities of Epsom Salts. But I have been advised by someone else that with my water 2.5g per 20L should do the trick. 

You can go back to sleep now 😁

I wasn’t intending to insult your intelligence @Sid the Seedkiller,

it was just drummed into me to show my working lol 

My next question was going to be about whether you already had Epsom Salts or if you might prefer to use Mono Magnesium :) 

Atb

☯️

6 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Since your water has 50.6 Mg/l of Calcium it would require 16.9mg/l of Magnesium,

but it already has 4.4mg/l of Magnesium.

So you’d only need to increase it by 12.5mg/l.

.....so CalMag at a ratio of roughly 3:1 but is the 50.6mg/L spot on, high or low?

I'm waiting on the analysis results of my tap water so this has my interest. I moved home last summer and have had nothing but issues with my plants and it can only be the tap water. A pH of 7.6 was obviously too high so I've adjusted that to a range of 5.8 - 6.2 and so far my current grow is looking great.

I'm expecting the analysis of my tap water in the coming days but I have no idea of what the optimal amounts of Cal & Mag should be.

Time to start digging.... 

Edit... Mg @ 50-75ppm according to one research paper, so 150-225ppm Ca.

The confusing bit is if I'm using Atami CalMag they suggest using 0.1 - 1ml/L. Their CalMag is stated as Ca(20) Mg(12).

No idea how any of that translates to ppm. Jeez, I'm more confused now than ever 😩 

Edited by Peregrine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@ShumroomI didn't think you were mate, you've helped me loads. I thought you was joking, I was anyway. No hard feelings buddy. And I've got Epsom, so I'm going to use that to start with. 

@Peregrine the problem with cal mag as I see it is your going to raise both, calcium and magnesium, which won't help you balance the ratio, hence the need for mono or Epsom salts, ive been advised by a member with similar water 2.5g of Epsom Salts in 20L water should balance it up for me. 

Edited by Sid the Seedkiller
  • Like 2

It’s all good Sid,

just a little confusion due to not having facial expressions to fill in the details :) 

@Peregrine I’ve been having to hit the medibles quite heavily recently with this shitty weather and the pain I’ve been feeling as a result,

so as I mentioned my numbers aren’t 100% thought through.

I was hoping that someone with a clearer head might have spotted this conversation and jumped in lol

I dunno if @Oldbear is still a regular visitor or not,

I haven’t seen him in ages,

but he used to help me with these problems :) 

If he sees this hopefully he’ll drop by 🤞

Ps. I think @mikeydoughnut might have had to make corrections to his water,

but I could be wrong :skin_up:

Atb

☯️