Opinions please.

sweettooth

Decided to go back to HIDs for this winters grow, been so used to led growing that I've forgotten what I'm supposed to be doing under hids and assumed it would be easier.

Current setup is a 2.4 x 1.2.

I have from left to right, 600w mh at 36 inches, a 464w led at 50% at 36 inches and then a 400w MH about 30 inches from canopy.

growing in coco with perlite in 7l pots

This is the left side, not too bad, bit of curling on the middle plant on the right tray but as we move over......

large.20240310_164242.jpg.969b66a6f083e7ffcc116a4fd5b5f440.jpg

You'll notice more yellow creeping in, especially on leaf tips and a bit more drooping.

large.20240310_164304.jpg.a407be28df31d490d492fcfb451be14d.jpg

More yellow tips here

large.20240310_163912.jpg.a7e5c50a225dc31492ad8d1fbe7b1c8b.jpg

and here

large.20240310_163754.jpg.a0001db63b8205f36d9a150505b66476.jpg

and here

large.20240310_163746.jpg.cc29e4a05daee26310a3acc5660ee423.jpg

the worst of the plants are under the 400w mh

environment has been targeted at 26 degrees and humidity sits around 62, it floats from highs of 67 down to lows of 58 depending on how saturated the pots are.

Last feed was 1.3 ec and 6.2 ph feeding growers ark grow feed, a and b, traces, and root tonic.

I always have an issue with watering when potting up and think I throw too much through, that aside, I've been scouring all the sick plants posts to try to remedy myself.

Temps and RH are monitored in middle of tent under the led so away from any heat from the HIDs.

Fans above lights blowing against side of tent so no direct wind.

I'm thinking...

Its not too much light, seems environmental combined with weaker feeds.

I'll definitely be adding Epson salts, 2.5g per 20L of water (as previously recommended by GA for thier food) as I have seen some brown spots before, this caused me to lower the lights as they all were up higher

Up the ec to 1.6, looks like early nitrogen to me.

Perhaps the lights are still too high and the plants aren't transpiring enough so maybe ditch the led,  swap the reflectors for the larger 6" goldstars I have and upgrade the 400w to a 600w and lower them to 24 inches (I will be flowering under 2 x 600w 400v hps). I was kind of hoping of cramming an led in the centre and could fall back on my 300w attis or just stick to hids  for this grow.

I seem to remember growing under hids was a doddle, dont know why I have to make things so difficult??

thanks in advance, hopefully there's enough info here for you all.

38 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

environment has been targeted at 26 degrees

I would say that’s a tad on low side, do you know what the temps at the root zone are? 

Edited by The Green Manalishi
  • Like 2

Just few looks down a bit prolly due watering potting as you said,should be well once you pop in flower,had lots of crappy plants in veg that perk up once flower starts,sometimes i feel like they cant handle 20h of strong light if you know what i mean.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Green Manalishi said:

I would say that’s a tad on low side, do you know what the temps at the root zone are? 

I'm aware leds need higher, always thought you could get away with lower temps under hids but lights are quite high, maybe not enough leaf surface temp? MH don't throw out infrared, used to grow under dual spectrum hps. I'll up the temps a notch. don't measure root temps, lights off is 22 to 23.

26 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

Just few looks down a bit prolly due watering potting as you said,should be well once you pop in flower,had lots of crappy plants in veg that perk up once flower starts,sometimes i feel like they cant handle 20h of strong light if you know what i mean.

yeah I've had many grows under led that looked shit until 12/12. These are under 18/6 atm. I'll reduce the watering a bit, I am using about 1.5 litres in a 7l pot, is enough for run off though and the smaller ones under the 600 are mich healthier, kind of circles me back to temps as they feel warmer to the hand and bigger light

I would focus more on the roots before air temps, cold damp roots are going to give you all sorts of issues, dial in your root temps first, then your air temps/ VPD

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

lights off is 22 to 23

Yeah that’s way to cold for my liking.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Green Manalishi said:

I would focus more on the roots before air temps, cold damp roots are going to give you all sorts of issues, dial in your root temps first, then your air temps/ VPD

I do have some heat matts I can use.

also bumping up to 23 to 24

• Like 2

Do you think they might be colder under the 400w?

1 hour ago, inceywinceyspider said:

Do you think they might be colder under the 400w?

defo a possibility, especially with the height ive got them. grabbing another 600 tomo

Just for others if they look for similar issues. Upping the temps and upping the strength of feed and better controlling PH has cured them, a lot greener and healthier 👍

• Like 2