Intense Nutes Silicon Ultra

Sid the Seedkiller

Pretty simple, was gifted a bottle of Intense Nutrients Silicon Ultra from my local shop, I'm growing in Canna Coco Pro+ with Canna Coco A+B and Rhizotonic under LED, how and when can I use this, if at all? 

Cheers!

Just do what it says on the label 😏........ If you're asking what it does in the context of the grow though, silica is basically the most essential, non-essential nutrient. It will make the plants cell structure tougher, your stems thicker, your trichomes bigger and more robust, as well as give you resistance against pests and powdery mildew.

Can't offer much advice on how to use it in liquid form as I use wallostonite in my substrate for my silica needs, but surely the bottle offers advice in that department?

• Like 2

@darXound on the bottle all it says is 1ml/10L, so I'm guessing its pretty pokey stuff. The hydro shop owner just threw it at me without any rhyme or reason, just said here have this. I didn't know if it was applicable for coco or anything, and the intense website doesn't say that much either, so I thought I'd ask. I could have just blindly followed the bottle yeah, but then I didn't want to fuck up my seedlings pouring shit I dont want or need on them. And how often are manufacturers doses accurate? They are usually too strong in my experience...

But thanks for the explanation. 

Id say the dose stated will be fine, and technically it should be applied for the whole grow. The temperamental thing with liquid silica however and the bit I couldn't advise on, is that sometimes you can't mix it with other nutrients, or if you can it has to be done in a really fiddly way...... This is why I use wollastonite as I can just add it to the medium at 1 gram per litre and forget about it. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will step up

• Like 1

@darXound I had read exactly that about silica, that it needs to be fed separately, but then on the Intense Pro chart it says its fine to mix this particular fluid with your other nutes, another reason why I asked on here. I think i'll try it, but maybe only on 1 or 2 plants to start with. I've also read it can make your buds hard if you use too much or too late. Ill probably cut it off around week 3/4, just in case.

Cheers fella. Sid. 

• Like 1

@darXound

I see the wallostonite is also a source of calcium, do you add extra Mg to keep the calmag ratio at 3:1 ?

interested In trying that mixed into my soil 

25 minutes ago, cypo74 said:

@darXound

I see the wallostonite is also a source of calcium, do you add extra Mg to keep the calmag ratio at 3:1 ?

interested In trying that mixed into my soil 

Nah, I just do what Bruce Bugbee tells me..... I certainly don't add any additional cal mag though.

I have wondered about this myself tbh. The wollastonite breaks down incredibly slowly though and also, it does contain magnesium as well as other macro nutrients. 

• Thanks 1

I haven’t used this product (it’s quite expensive iirc).

If Intense say you can mix it with your nutrients.

I’d mix up just a couple of litres,

so that if you see precipitation(white cloudyness) then you can chuck it and start again.

I think you’re supposed to mix in the Si Ultra before you add anything else to your water,

then do the CalMag thing if that’s what you’re happy with.

It might be advisable to have a look at your water suppliers website for Calcium and Magnesium levels and making required corrections,

rather than just chucking CalMag in 👍

Atb

☯️

• Like 1

@Shumroom I have been trying to research my water. Short of sending a sample to GA im not sure. I'm going to do some more digging today. And yes youre right the bottle I was given has an rrp of £50, not sure why i got it free....

Maybe its ooooold. 

Maybe I won't bother with it. 

Cheers dude. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Shumroom so I've been doing some digging and this is what I have found.

large.94_copy_5927x3935.jpg.bf65253ba7cf905f60f4ed2c9dd114af.jpglarge.93_copy_1522x1849.jpg.0d3f899c8b07c640d503ba0d30a001fd.jpg

So from this I'm getting that my water has on average 50.6 mg/l calcium and 4.4 mg/l magnesium. Which by my reckoning is a ratio of 11.5/1

Is that correct? What's your thoughts on how I should treat my water. Cal Mag? Epsom Salts? None of the above? Anyone else I should ask? 

Thanks mate. Sid. 

Edited by Sid the Seedkiller

my water test from. growers arc came back at

Ca 90.8

Mg 4
Sulphate 52
Alkalinity 237
PH 7.75

Somehow they said the calmag ratio is 4:1 (no idea how they got to that)

Ive been adding 0.4ml/L mono mag and have had no further problems

• Like 1

@cypo74 thanks for that, I've just been reading another thread about Cal Mag. Still no better off though, some find it a must, others thinks its pointless. I think I might leave it out, and see how things go to start with. 

Just now, Sid the Seedkiller said:

@cypo74 thanks for that, I've just been reading another thread about Cal Mag. Still no better off though, some find it a must, others thinks its pointless. I think I might leave it out, and see how things go to start with. 

yeah, if youre not experiencing problems i wouldnt bother, after i switched to LED, within 3 weeks i was seeing rust spots and intervenal yellowing, so i had to add mag

• Like 1

@cypo74 I'm under LED, a scopex and a lumatek. So you think I will need it? Isn't that a myth? I've read soooo much conflicting stuff about it. 

Just like everything else in the ganja growing world. 

Just now, Sid the Seedkiller said:

@cypo74 I'm under LED, a scopex and a lumatek. So you think I will need it? Isn't that a myth? I've read soooo much conflicting stuff about it. 

Just like everything else in the ganja growing world. 

I did in my case, but your cal levels are lower than mine, so you may well be fine, your environment will be different to mine also,  so just try without, if you get problems you can always add a bit,  you cant take it out lol 

• Like 1