Soil to Coco

Sid the Seedkiller

I've got some plants in 2 inch square pots in the old Tropic Mix (60/40 peat/coco) that are going to need potting up very soon. The soil is dead as I'm feeding them intense nutes at the mo, they are coming up on 2 and a half weeks, but the new Tropic Mix is absolute trash, and I'm going over to coco anyway, so would there be a problem with potting these up into coco, seeing as they are already in 60/40 anyway? I've obviously got the appropriate nutes etc. 

Cheers, Sid. 

It’s not ideal,

but since they’re in fairly small pots just now you should get away with potting up into pure coco.

Have you done some reading up on how coco should be treated differently from compost?

Atb

☯️

• Like 1

Did this many moons ago whether rightly or wrongly , washed the media gently off the plants to be repotted up, stuck them into coco and it worked . Irc it took a few days of transplant shock and after that grew as usual. Used roots excel and Nitrozyme each alone , staggered out. Edit to add took cuttings before just in case it didn’t work , that may have added to the shock lol 

Edited by Arthur Mix
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Shumroom yes mate, I've been doing some researching, already asked a few questions on the coco thread. I know about PH, EC, runoff, I know they are going to need watering less in quantity, but more often,  probably daily. I will be keeping the diary up to date for sure, with plenty of questions no doubt. I'm using canna coco pro by the way, so its pre washed and buffered. 

And I'm going to at least try with the little ones in soil into coco. If it doesn't take it doesn't take. They are well rooted, we will see. I'm popping 5 apple crumbles in the airing cupboard now anyway, and they'll go straight into coco for a fresh start. 

@Arthur Mix these are so small I couldn't take cuts. Only 4 or 5 nodes high in 2 inch squares. Its do or die for these 5 I'm afraid. They ruined my favourite soil, and they're banning it anyway so may as well just get on with the transition to coco now. Perfect time of year for it too. 

Cheers guys. 

Edited by Sid the Seedkiller
  • Like 1

Done it loads, and in reverse growing outdoors. No problem, just carry on as normal, no point trying to wash the other off the roots. :D 

• Like 1

Not a problem,I do it all the time,just go easy with the first few fertigations.

• Like 1

@Mr mcgregor @Slippy One nice one! I didn't think it would be too bad as its 40% coco anyway, and as they needed watering last night and are ready for potting up I thought sod it, I'll give em one last watering of dialed in coco nutes, PH'd and EC'd and they looked like they bloody loved it before lights out!!! So yeah full steam ahead! 

Cheers! Sid.