Coco noob has questions...

Sid the Seedkiller

Today I took the plunge at my local Hydro shop and made the steps to convert from soil to coco after 4 years in the mud. I went for Canna Coco Pro+ medium, Canna Coco A+B, Canna Rhizotonic and Canna Calmag, simply for ease and cost. But I have some very basic and noobish questions. So please, go easy. 

1. Do you pot up as you would in soil? ie 2inch, 4 inch, 1litre then finals etc?

2. Do you recommend solid or fabric pots?

3. Is Mycorrhizal fungus useful in coco? If so which brand? Great White ok? 

4. Should I use the Calmag every feed? Or wait until a problem presents itself? Or at a certain stage? 

5. Is plain old tap water (EC 0.3)  ok? 

Also any insightful bits of wisdom or general tips for coco would be most welcome. For reference I'm growing under 600W LED. 

Thanks in advance peeps. 

Sid. 

1 - yes although i go from plugs to 1 litre then stright to 7 litre

2 - root pruning pots - cheap and stackable

3 - you can yes

4 - depends on the coco - if its buffered, no but mixed reports from users, maybe keep it until u see signs, make sure youe PH is spot on!!!

5 - yes fine, lower than mine, decent coco feed and maintain ec levels and ph - feed every watering!!!!!

after repotting, u want to not overwater as you want roots to reach out and fill out the pot but once established , water every day, keep at 85% saturation, plenty of coco diaries on here. drippers worlk well, also need run to waste, aim for 10% run off each time, dont let it dry out or youll get salt build up and spike your ec

Edited by sweettooth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@sweettooth top man! Nice one fella, short and to the point. I knew about the runoff thing but i'll be careful after potting up as you suggest, so cheers for that too.  Over waterting has always been my nemesis. I know there is a range but would you aim for a specific PH? Say 6? And I'm starting with the Canna feeding schedule, would you say thats good to go? Thanks again mate. 

coco likes 5.2 - 6.8 but different minerals are absorbed at different ends of the range so you have to dabble, shoot for 5.5 one feed, 6.0 another, 6.5 and go back to 6.0 and so on.

as long as im "in the range" i dont care too muc, keep an out for issues and then adjuts higher or lower

Edited by sweettooth
  • Like 1

@sweettooth after rereading your first message you mention about plugs, do you mean jiffy style? Would you not recommend putting popped seeds straight into coco? One last thing, should I bother with perlite or no? Cheers fella. 

Sid.

@Sid the Seedkiller

Ive gone each way, all works, coco using those paper type pots which you just plonk in the next pot size, ez cubes and then into the 3 inch cube, root riot cubes, all work and are all great.

I'm mixed on perlite tbh. used to use canna Pro, amazing coco and probably the best imo. only went over the ecothrive 70/30 as every was going on about charge and its a bit cheaper but may go back to canna pure coco. proper buffered and nice and fluffy.

19 hours ago, Sid the Seedkiller said:

simply for ease and cost.

Canna works out pretty expensive compared to some other brands, IME.

1 hour ago, sweettooth said:

@Sid the Seedkiller

Ive gone each way, all works, coco using those paper type pots which you just plonk in the next pot size, ez cubes and then into the 3 inch cube, root riot cubes, all work and are all great.

I'm mixed on perlite tbh. used to use canna Pro, amazing coco and probably the best imo. only went over the ecothrive 70/30 as every was going on about charge and its a bit cheaper but may go back to canna pure coco. proper buffered and nice and fluffy.

What's your thoughts on charge?

8 minutes ago, leafsta said:

What's your thoughts on charge?

haven't used it enough. Still have a tub of it, need to start top dressing really. always had great results without adding beneficials, I chop and change so much I can't really say what works and what doesn't anymore 🤣

• Like 1

Thats interesting as I have a tub of Charge as well, I was thinking of using it, I think I might now. Cheers guys. 

• Like 1

I have another question. I'm starting in the small 2 inch square on the left. Am I wasting my time with the middle 4 inch pot? Should I just go straight to the 6 inch and then 11L fabric final? In coco. 

large.91_copy_1224x1224.jpg.d3fae992fbbc2815d745869cb2d5453e.jpg

Cheers. 

• Like 1

On 10/03/2024 at 11:04, Sid the Seedkiller said:

I have another question. I'm starting in the small 2 inch square on the left. Am I wasting my time with the middle 4 inch pot? Should I just go straight to the 6 inch and then 11L fabric final? In coco. 

Personally - yes, how much bigger is the fabirc pot compared to the 6 inch?