Are autopots any good? (Coco)

Cocoab

Does anyone have any experience with auto pots in coco? They seem simple enough but heard they can cause salt  build up etc. 

I've heard of a few floodings... I am trying to decide between something like Ecothrives 60 x 120 autopot for living soil, or giving it all up and go the coco route.

I know I could do it manually, but bottom watering automatically sounds awesome...  I guess I should fit some kind of overflow and then there's zero risk.

I fail to see how having the pot base below the water line is ever going to be effective. Some people seem to have success with them but personally, I thought they were shite. The pots were constantly soaked and heavy when I used them. 

The aquavalve is a good idea though and I'd want to use them with the pot above the water line if ever using them again, perhaps paired with wicking cords or a coco mat.

9 minutes ago, Clubs said:

I fail to see how having the pot base below the water line is ever going to be effective. Some people seem to have success with them but personally, I thought they were shite. The pots were constantly soaked and heavy when I used them. 

The aquavalve is a good idea though and I'd want to use them with the pot above the water line if ever using them again, perhaps paired with wicking cords or a coco mat.

Hmm yeah, interesting.

15 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

I've heard of a few floodings...

Been there in the early days, wondered why my res was low so filled it up without checking, got back from work - res was emtpy again, opened the tent and luckily the spill tray kept in the liquid. the float had got bunged with limescale and got stuck open

• Like 1