For best results, use our nutrients with our soil

darXound

Deep down I know this is bullshit, but I thought i'd float it here.

I normally grow in coco with Canna nutrients. They have served me well. I wanted to try out soil so went with Canna terra pro and it turns out their soil is absolutely shit! Random plants popping out of it, pieces of dowel etc.

So, i'm switching to Plagron growmix when I re-pot them next. On both of these soil mixes, it's recommended to use their own nutrients for best results.

I understand why using nutrients of the same brand could be important, as they could be formulated to mix well together among other things, but is there really any benefit for using Plagron nutes with Plagron soil and vice versa, or is that just cruel marketing for the neurotic?

I'd like to stay with Canna nutes.

I think in some very rare circumstances it might be beneficial, but 90 percent of the time using a different brand of nutrients won't add or deduct anything from your usual results in the given medium.

I think I've likely used every brand of nutrients in pm soil, including pm and pm oldtimer, and I've not noticed any real difference I'd put down to the actual brand itself.

I totally agree with you on the canna though. Best coco for me but the terra isn't nice stuff. I also like and use their nutrients in coco and hydro regularly.

• Like 5

The only time I used the same nutrient line as the soil was with Guanokalong Complete soil. It already contains high levels of P so their bloom doesn't contain any.

Just have a close look at what your soil contains and any suitable feed will do the job just as well IME.

• Like 1

Yeah didn't really think so. Plagron is just peat, perlite and worm castings. Once the soil is depleted there's not much that can interact with whatever you put in it.

• Like 1

Imagine nutrients being brand loyal lol

I can't agree on the Canna compost though, I love the stuff. Oh and I've been using Canna Terra and Vega for years, they work in all sorts of composts :yep:

• Like 2

@KC I did hear that they have changed their mix, heard a few people say their soil has gone to shit in the last month or so. 

Edited by MindSoup

@MindSoup I suppose it's a possibility, be ashame if it has. Sometimes I do wonder if people like to lay the blame on things over looking maybe another issue they've had :unsure: There was a whole thread about how shit Playgron Batmix is so I thought i'd try it for myself. I thought it was great. I potted up a right sick starving looking plant and within a week or two it was fine.

We can only call what we find though and it's always good to have other peoples inputs/experiences.

• Like 2

Yeah I  know what your saying, plenty  of that going on. This is multiple well experienced growers all having the same issues but only with canna soil though, so I think we can safely rule it out this time. 

• Like 1

I have started using Canna Terra (Pro) for seedlings and vegging plants. I like that it doesn't come with fungus gnats included.

Not used it before though seems nice soil but very big chunks of material so it needs breaking up a bit imho for seedlings. Not just woody bits but stuff that looks like peat and some that looks like hard clay. Some pieces are the size of my palm.

I like Plagron too but it sets like concrete after a few waterings

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a 50:50 ratio of Plagron batmix and PM supreme or Biobizz all mix, and perlite, with PM/biobizz nutes for years with great results. If you're doing organic then as long as you have the well drained and aerated organic soil with organic nutes you're all set for success. When needed I've also introduced some other organic nutes from other brands and had no issues.

On 26/02/2024 at 15:22, DeltaMelter said:

I like Plagron too but it sets like concrete after a few waterings

I can confirm this to be true and with zero exaggeration 😐 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2024 at 18:21, darXound said:

I can confirm this to be true and with zero exaggeration 😐 

Maybe add some perlite to losen it a bit it. Do you hand water or drip feed? Hand watering suddenly drowns the the substrate & then it drys out, drip feed just keeps things damp. I'm seriously considering a drip feed system myself.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

Maybe add some perlite to losen it a bit it. Do you hand water or drip feed? Hand watering suddenly drowns the the substrate & then it drys out, drip feed just keeps things damp. I'm seriously considering a drip feed system myself.

Yeah I do wish I added more perlite, the amount they put in isn't cutting it.

Other than the initial drench, I hand water from the bottom so it isn't too bad. I've been eyeing up those auto watering bases from AC Infinity. Might give them a pop next grow.

To be fair on Plagron, my plants are absolutely loving life right now

14 minutes ago, darXound said:

Yeah I do wish I added more perlite, the amount they put in isn't cutting it.

Other than the initial drench, I hand water from the bottom so it isn't too bad. I've been eyeing up those auto watering bases from AC Infinity. Might give them a pop next grow.

To be fair on Plagron, my plants are absolutely loving life right now

I've been using a 70/30 coco/perlite mix but in my next grow I'm considering just using plain coco. AC Infinity set up looks OK.

I think I (personally) would rather opt for a run to waste drip feed system, using coco, or bite the bullet and get a full recirculating hydro Wilma/NFT/Flood-drain set-up.

• Like 1