How much of a difference

le0n.v6

Been growing the last 3 years in coco I haven't been checking EC of run off, shit watering schedules, pots going dry before rewatering etc and not taking it seriously at all

Not had some bad results considering I've just been chucking nutes in hard water n chucking it in the pots (dumping it in possibly creating dry channels) but now I'm only growing for myself so wanna stay on top of it all for AAA results.

How much of a difference will the right EC in and out, watered twice a day to decent run off keeping things in line make?

Got myself a lux meter too to keep the ppfd in check. (540ppfd @ week 2 veg, does this sound reasonable?) Temps and RH haven't been too bad mostly keeping eye on temps though, not really watching RH too much. Should I expect a massive difference keeping everything mentioned above in the sweet spot? 

All this said I'm actually looking forward to the next harvest (Barneys Farm purple punch 👌👊)

Edited by le0n.v6

Can’t say I know how much difference it will make. I suppose also coming into play will be the genetics. Only way you’d be able to tell how much difference it makes is running clones side by side. 

• Like 1

Automated watering is the way to stabilise EC. Multiple shorter waterings don’t allow for EC spikes. Number of fertigations will depend on pot size, environment and individual plants drinking/eating habits.

I’m not sure how others settle on number of waterings to preserve EC. Mines initially simply set to prevent dryback. This run I had 3/5 that were monster dry come lights on. They’d get a drink at what could be considered midday but it wasn’t enough so I added two short waterings in the last 4 hours before lights out. Now I don’t have the dramatic dryback. In doing this it settles the EC down somewhat. Almost a self fulfilling prophecy but just measure run off to be sure and adjust res EC or watering accordingly. 

Costs pence to set up really. 

• Like 2

Cheers @stummer and @mikeydoughnut.

I'd love to do a side by side next go but can't get clones anywhere round here at the moment all potential ones fall through, even had a guy offering me clippings in newspaper 😂 and I tried cloning once or twice without much success

I did have autowatering on 1 end of last year, but because of state of the water here (.8 ec out the tap) I was using an RO filter. Was guessing there would of been limescale build up within the halos in no time at all so and also using the RO filter cost me 2 grand in wasted water so fucked it off for obvious reasons 

Not scrogging this time incase I need to move em mid flower, so gonna keep switching em round to try prevent the same one drying out near the rad. Currently 1.4 in and 1.3 coming out. Just been repotted into 15 litre about 5 days ago. Gave em a good watering to decent run off with 1.4 ec and then again twice a day since with about 750ml again at 1.4ec enough to make a decent amount of run off at this stage. Guessing that the amount of water to create run off at 2 feedings a day will increase as the plants get bigger and start drinking more? Should the ec coming out be lower?

Cheers for the replies 

Edited by le0n.v6

13 minutes ago, le0n.v6 said:

Guessing that the amount of water to create run off at 2 feedings a day will increase as the plants get bigger and start drinking more?

Aye. More water with good run off or simply more events with less run off needed. 

13 minutes ago, le0n.v6 said:

Should the ec coming out be lower?

This means you’re not feeding them enough. As the coco drys any unused salts will remain so logically the EC should be higher due to the water:salt ratio. 

I hate doing this lol I suffer from imposter syndrome and it’s simply my interpretation of what I’ve read/observed. Always think I’m gonna get me sen in trouble giving bad advice 🙈

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1

if it's .8 coming out the taps and you are feeding at 1.4 that doesn't seem like much food at all.

my ec is barely .2 at the tap and i'm feeding at 1.8, it was 1.6, but they soon looked poorly

1 hour ago, le0n.v6 said:

Cheers @stummer and @mikeydoughnut.

I'd love to do a side by side next go but can't get clones anywhere round here at the moment all potential ones fall through, even had a guy offering me clippings in newspaper 😂 and I tried cloning once or twice without much success

I did have autowatering on 1 end of last year, but because of state of the water here (.8 ec out the tap) I was using an RO filter. Was guessing there would of been limescale build up within the halos in no time at all so and also using the RO filter cost me 2 grand in wasted water so fucked it off for obvious reasons 

Not scrogging this time incase I need to move em mid flower, so gonna keep switching em round to try prevent the same one drying out near the rad. Currently 1.4 in and 1.3 coming out. Just been repotted into 15 litre about 5 days ago. Gave em a good watering to decent run off with 1.4 ec and then again twice a day since with about 750ml again at 1.4ec enough to make a decent amount of run off at this stage. Guessing that the amount of water to create run off at 2 feedings a day will increase as the plants get bigger and start drinking more? Should the ec coming out be lower?

Cheers for the replies 

RO system ended up costing you that much in wasted water? Lol you’ve put me off wanting to buy a system now. I didn’t think it would work out anywhere near that expensive

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

if it's .8 coming out the taps and you are feeding at 1.4 that doesn't seem like much food at all.

my ec is barely .2 at the tap and i'm feeding at 1.8, it was 1.6, but they soon looked poorly

I'd read a few places that nutes too high ec in early to mid veg would lead to salt burn? They look fine at the minute to be fair altho maybe a little slow getting bigger.

Was only using half the recommended dose from Canna (13ml per 10 litres of a + b + 10ml rhiztonic. Not using calmag never really had problems using tapwater) which was bringing the feed to about 1

4. Will try upping this to 1.6 n keep track of the runoff and see how they get on 

32 minutes ago, stummer said:

RO system ended up costing you that much in wasted water? Lol you’ve put me off wanting to buy a system now. I didn’t think it would work out anywhere near that expensive

Unless I did something drastically wrong 😅😅 the ratio of waste to filtered water was ridiculous. 7 or 8 hours to fill a 10 litre bucket drip drip drip while you can hear the waste water running down the waste pipe. Maybe some sort of recirculating system could have been fitted but not sure what the waste water quality would of been like

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, le0n.v6 said:

I'd read a few places that nutes too high ec in early to mid veg would lead to salt burn? They look fine at the minute to be fair altho maybe a little slow getting bigger.

Was only using half the recommended dose from Canna (13ml per 10 litres of a + b + 10ml rhiztonic. Not using calmag never really had problems using tapwater) which was bringing the feed to about 1

4. Will try upping this to 1.6 n keep track of the runoff and see how they get on 

Unless I did something drastically wrong 😅😅 the ratio of waste to filtered water was ridiculous. 7 or 8 hours to fill a 10 litre bucket drip drip drip while you can hear the waste water running down the waste pipe. Maybe some sort of recirculating system could have been fitted but not sure what the waste water quality would of been like

My tap water is similar to yours and I use canna nutes. I just ignore my background ec tbh. Then I just read the plants n look at their shade of green. Want to slowly build up the amount your giving them. I never go higher than 1.4ec. You Soon learn what a healthy shade of green is. As oppose to the leaves a dark green and waxy looking. Have hard claw leaves from N tox once or twice.  My own fault though the signs was there before it got to that stage.

I was looking to get an RO system but that sounds a proper pain in the arse. Main reason considering it was wanting to switch nutes to try the ph perfect by advance nutes. Just thought it’s one less thing to have to care about. Didn’t know RO systems take that long though. Also thought be better to be flushing with RO water and another way to improve the smoke.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, le0n.v6 said:

I'd read a few places that nutes too high ec in early to mid veg would lead to salt burn?

Measure your run off. If it’s coming out lower than you’re putting in then that’s a sign to feed that bit more. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stummer said:

Want to slowly build up the amount your giving them. I never go higher than 1.4ec

Was that 1.4 disregarding background ec still?? 

23 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

Measure your run off. If it’s coming out lower than you’re putting in then that’s a sign to feed that bit more. 

Simple n clear cheers @mikeydoughnut will do as yous suggest and get the ec up slowly over the next few days n keep a record of the run off

Yes mate ignoring the background ec. That’s the highest I’ve ever gone. For the most part I stay around the 1.2ec mark tbh.

• Thanks 1

Nice ill push em a lil more n keep checkin that run off ec cheers for the help guys 😁

Starting to see yellow tips on 2 of them, heres a pic of all 3...

large.20240226_134449.jpg.bb884a890646916112b7d9332cab6208.jpglarge.20240226_134510.jpg.0be4741b460d72276f86f2e86979799e.jpglarge.20240226_134505.jpg.0edcd9cdfe129ec2a51e2ccae07110c3.jpg

i know they have some way to go in veg yet but 2 have yellow tips coming on. Also can anyone advise me as to what causes the missing leaf tips (pic 1 and 2) seen it on a fair few of my previous grows. am i overwatering? run off is always 1.4/1.5 so no salt build up causing it right?

thanks in advanced :D

edit: what do you guys think of the colour are they too light? might just go back to winging it, seemed easier😂

Edited by le0n.v6

Your missing leaf tips is caused when you topped the plant/s,

you must’ve just nicked the remaining growth a wee bit :) 

Yes I think that you might be giving just a little too much light for the current environment.

What are your lights on Temp and RH?

I’m of the opinion that you should pot up from small to larger as plants grow,

yes that includes autos.

Atb

☯️