Mother x Propagator Setup

NormanNugget

Hi guys.

Looking at setting up a small tent for propagating and longer term keeping a few bonsai mothers.

I have a 90x90 AC infinity setup but can probably only do a full run in this once a year. The tent is just in a spare room so hard to convince the other half to have a bloody great tent in there full time.

I’m also wondering whether I could potentially grow out a couple freebie Autos in there. Advice on setup/kit much appreciated, current list to follow..

Tent: Secret Jardin DP60

Light: Secret Jardin Cosmorrow Bloom 20w x 2

Heat: Root !T 40x60 heat mat

Extraction / Filter: need recommendations, I want something as small as possible, but with a carbon filter

Circulation: Will this be needed?

As for control I’m think maybe just stick the light on a smart socket with a timer, heat mat on an inkbird. Then probably just run the extraction at minimum on continuous.

Any comments and advice on setup would be great!

Sounds like your on the right track, although if you want to flower anything you'll need about 30-40 watts of led per square foot and I wouldn't keep mums under a bloom spectrum either. Maybe get 2 veg Cosmorrows strips and then if you want to run some autos upgrade to a micro aray 2 or a viparspectra x1500 or similar. 

As for a fan and filter I'd recommended looking at the secret jardin kit, fits with their tents perfectly, pretty compact and very well made from what I've seen. The new rhino ec fans are supposed to be quite good as well. The smallest filter I know of is the fox hydro 100x150mm I use 2 myself and they're doing well, but I have heard a few people report them leaking smell. 

Circulation is definitely a good idea for mum's/vegging and essential for flowering. I like the Up here 12v 1 amp pc type fans, cheap powerful and reliable, just have to get a bit creative hanging them. 

I use a 8 quid digital timer from Morrisons,they last really well and they easy to use. Some people do use smart plugs but the ones I tried kept fucking up every time the WiFi or power dropped out and nearly ruined one of my crops. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Thanks @MindSoup I did mean to put grow Cosmorrows rather than bloom. I’m guessing in a 60cm high tent I’m not going to be flowering anything? 

Would you recommend just going for either of the lights you mention over the Cosmorrows, I’d rather over spec to start with and not have to buy more kit later down the line. Seems like either light won’t be much more than getting 2x grow and 2x bloom Cosmorrows.

The Secret Jardin extractor looks good, and I think their filter is pretty small too.

I’ll maybe plump for a digital timer plug then. I do run plenty of smart plugs at home and don’t have much issue though!

Don’t underestimate how much a nursery will cost you in time and money. How many keeper mums are you planning on keeping? Are the genetics rare or valuable? If you’re only doing 1-2 grows in the tent each year, makes economic sense to just grow from seed each run. Most smart growers don’t grow indoors during summer due to conditions being too hot for drying and curing their flowers, which is why the forum is full of “why does my bud smell like hay” threads during summer.. 

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input @Slippy One

TBH I was thinking to set up the nursery just to give me something to do between full runs. Genetics are nothing special, I’m just on my first run from seeds.

Eventually I’m looking at whether I can convert a built in wardrobe to house my 90x90 tent with the propagation setup below. 

Growing indoor over summer is a no-no then? Seems as though my current run will most likely be finishing up in June.. so probably will be too hot for drying and curing 🤦🏻‍♂️

34 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

60cm high tent I’m not going to be flowering anything? 

I grow in a 60x60x120 and get about 4-6 ounces on a good run. 

As for the light it depends, mums and cuts wil much prefer a blue leaning spectrum over the long term and most full size seed to flower lights will have a red leaning spectrum, but that being said I'm sure theres people here keeping mum's under lights with red diodes (I am but that's precisely why I'm not recommending it). 

If you have found some reliable smart plugs and you've tested what happens when they lose WiFi/power then crack on with them, I just had a bad experience and figured my Morrisons timer wasn't broke so why fix it. It's not like I change my schedule very often, so I don't see the need for app connectivity or any of that stuff. 

Also what slippy said, keeping mum's, especially bonsai mums can really take a lot of time and money and I sometimes wonder why I'm bothering to be honest, but I haven't stopped yet so that says something. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

Growing indoor over summer is a no-no then

No not at all, it just comes with some challenges that a lot of people don't want to deal with. I grow year round in a flat that reaches high 30s in summer. It's not easy, but it can be done with the right approach. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

You can always buy or build a curing fridge but if there’s a heatwave in June you’ll be making hay. Ambient temps from mid May are above 25+°C in my flat. Ideal temperature for curing is 16-22°C, many people successfully dry early summer so you should be ok.. during a heatwave, I’m hitting 30° ambient indoors so would rather have my plants outdoors, under the sun, growing for free, by the time they finish it’s early October so cool enough indoors for a slow cure. 👍🏼

3 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

would rather have my plants outdoors, under the sun,

Yeah to be fair that would be my preference as well, less cost, less stress and the benefit of that thing sunlight gives buds that nothing else does. If my back wasn't cooked I'd still just be doing one big GG every summer

• Like 2

I'd love to get a few autos out in the sun but it's just too cold and damp where I'm at. Any time I've tried it's either turned into a rot fest or they've been nicked before they've had a chance to rot lol I was going to try a few in a greenhouse but I think it would be even more hassle for rot.

As for having a nursery space, I couldn't be without one. I'm running all year so it saves a lot of time being able to sex plants and root clones before my crop is finished. Also having space to keep my mums and cuts of unknown plants I'm running incase something pops up that's worth keeping is priceless. After years of growing I hate to think of all the plants that I didn't keep cuts of.

• Like 2

@MindSoup @Slippy One

I like the idea of a GG, but out of the question at the mo, I live in a city centre.

Curing fridge sounds like a fun little project. I guess there’s some info on here somewhere about how to make one?

To keep costs down as a starter I guess I can sit the DP60 next to my 90x90 tent and pull air through the DP60 as the intake for the 90x90. Then it’ll get scrubbed and exhausted.

So I’d just need, tent, Cosmorrows, a small circulation fan and a heat mat.

If it all goes tits and I don’t think it’s worth keeping mums my partner will have a lovely propagation setup for her veg garden! 

58 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

still just be doing one big GG every summer

Any pics of your big GG grows knocking about bro? 

I Do love ogling  a good ol'  GG :)

✌️ 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HazyDaze said:

Any pics of your big GG grows knocking about bro? 

I Do love ogling  a good ol'  GG :)

✌️ 

large.IMG-1697.JPG.05b730bfe34a029459ad3487d29679b5.JPGlarge.IMG-2089.jpg.72df7f2a2ccd28b356cb5c42b63de147.jpglarge.IMG-2136.JPG.76fb9edb4a232cc0f028195ecd324244.JPG

• Like 4