Dry/powdered seaweed extract?

BushDoctoR

Unfortunately, Green Hand Organic which were a very small scale producer of some great organic additives seem to have all but disappeared since I last purchased from them. Among others they made an amazing powdered seaweed extract which I'm now trying to find an alternative to, does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm familiar with the usual liquid suspects (maxicrop, sm3, Shropshire etc) but I don't like the short shelf life and how much I used to throw away which is why I'd prefer the dry stuff if possible

I've tried googling but searching for powdered seaweed extract mostly yields results for dog food additives or seaweed meal which I believe is quite different

I’ve been using the guanokalong seaweed powder, like it a lot, thinking of going back to their nute line again to be honest, cracking flavour on the final product 

hands down the best flavour of the final flower out of all the different organic nutes I’ve tried 

Edited by cypo74
  • Thanks 1

Look at Carp fishing additives. Powdered seaweed is a common ingredient in baits. Nutrabaits do one, which is about a fiver for 300g.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Used nutrabaits for years (for carp fishing) until bill cottam sold the company, are they still as good??

Also look at equine supplies, stuff for horses seems cheap, bought a bucket of Irish dried seaweed there when I was using soil. molasses is really cheap there too, remember getting 5litres for price of large jar from 

holland & *******,alfalfa blocks too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Green hand organics insta says they were taking a break and will be back jan 2024, you never know, they may reappear 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cypo74 said:

Used nutrabaits for years (for carp fishing) until bill cottam sold the company, are they still as good??

Yes, still the same.

• Like 1

The fact Bill won’t touch it anymore tells me otherwise. DM doesn’t seem to keen on it either. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aphatspliff said:

The fact Bill won’t touch it anymore tells me otherwise. DM doesn’t seem to keen on it either. 

That maybe so with the boilies and mixes, but there's no logical reason to think the seaweed powder or other single ingredients are useless. I also know there is a lot of sour grapes in carp fishing generally. 

Edited by catweazle1

@BushDoctoR For proper small-shop organic vibes I like these, below. I've not had seaweed off them (I just use 'Shropshire'), mind -  but the neem and other stuff has been great (It's lasting years).

(I think this might contravene the spam rules -  but it's such a tiny independant I'm choosing to link it anyway. If link gone search 'thenaturalgardener', and it's a .co.uk based site)

Edited by lildaveham
Link
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all of those, but im not sure they are quite what I'm after. The stuff I'm after has been fermented and extracted prior to being dried back into powder form. I'm not sure regular seaweed powder would work without me making a tea myself

• Like 1

I’ve got a mate just started growing it on the south coast. He gave me a pot of extract, but I can’t take the lid off without gagging. Reckon I might have to give it a try in the garden before I let it loose on my weed 🤣