scrogging question. or do I just multiple top?

sweettooth

maybe @Notorious B.U.D can help with this one.

I've only got 7 this round and want to maximise my jars (yield). I have extra head room this time round but was thinking about scrogging them. After laying them down flat and training them, do I top each branch as I've done a kind of scrog before and didn't do that and the top still grew and probably took away some of the additional growth from all the other nodes/shoots.

The other option is I just multiple top them to get say 18 heads per plant and grow them out before flipping, using HPS with led this time so light penetration isn't an issue

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sweettooth said:

The other option is I just multiple top them to get say 18 heads per plant and grow them out before flipping

This, plus a bit of bending during the first week of flower and then stick the nets on to support them - unless you're limited to growing only a single large plant or something, actual scrogging is just an exercise in wasting time and money. Remember those daft single pot scrog nets? "scrog line pro" lol 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

This, plus a bit of bending during the first week of flower and then stick the nets on to support them - unless you're limited to growing only a single large plant or something, actual scrogging is just an exercise in wasting time and money. Remember those daft single pot scrog nets? "scrog line pro" lol 

Cheers, no not limited, I have the space, just down on numbers from the ill-timed house survey and the fact that my Animal Biscuit F3 cuts still havent rooted after nearly 4 weeks. Hence popping the digi berrys but they are well behind the seed stocker girls. to be honest, I prefer multiple toppings, looking back at old diaries, the best harvets I had was from multiple tops, grew some beast plants with multiple long thick colas, all around 7oz a plant

46 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

the best harvets I had was from multiple tops, grew some beast plants with multiple long thick colas

this is all i ever do, just net the fuckers, and hope they don't hit the light lol

Top and scrog, use the stretch to fill out the net/canopy, this way stretch is kept to a minimum and you utilise your lights coverage to the max.

• Like 3

I always thought a proper SCROG is a single plant filling out the room with a bigger pot and longer veg time. 7 plants under a grid is a Sea of Green isn’t it.

Man I do love a single plant SCROG done well. I wonder if @Notorious B.U.Dcould chime in with a pic or 2.. 💪🏼 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

7 plants under a grid is a Sea of Green isn’t it.

Technically no, If any of the number of plants use more than one square it's still considered a SCROG, SOG is one plant main cola per square, usually done with clones as it's more practical.

I like both single plant scrog and multi plant scrog, Multi plant scrog's are more challenging but do cut down on veg time by a lot.

Edited by Military Grade
Spelling
  • Like 2

I would say both scrog and top as much as you need to. Top once early on, see what you think the plant structure is going to be like, and make a plan from there.

Really depends on the type of plant. Some want to bush out, especially after just one topping, others don't and may require further topping once in the net.  

Really depends on if you have a scrog friendly plant or not in my eyes.

In my opinion, a proper scrog makes topping less necessary....... to a certain degree., but I still top at least once.   

I only scrog these days due to trying to keep plant numbers down.

• Like 2

I topped twice give it a week and Flip, then scrog with the stretch.

60x60 tent

large.20240216_052830.jpg.99105be21f0755566ecb1f5d2e751b10.jpg

• Like 9

thanks all,  my trouble is I've been mincing around so much with different styles and techniques and always pushing things and it just went drastically south so going back to what i did best, looking forward to less plant numbers and same amount of buds

• Like 1

Currently doing a one plant scrog and went from this 

large.IMGP8356.jpg.3796e8cea98f468df6a682ec385a9d72.jpg

to this ….

large.IMGP8437.jpg.6eb32c93629dc099bd4d7645f7bfd81b.jpg

I think I toped once and then spread her out with the yo yos as above then dropped the screen on and did a bit of supercropping. A week or two of tucking the shoots under the screen after flipping resulted in the second pic. Week three is when the stretch slowed and the buds started to set. 

As mentioned check @Notorious B.U.D for a detailed diary on how to grow a tree :bong:

• Like 6

On 21/02/2024 at 19:59, Military Grade said:

60x60 tent

I forgot to say, I took the net off after 3 weeks flower as an experiment with silica, it worked and I was able to remove the net easier, it also made harvesting a much smoother process with no net and I didn't need to cut all the branches individually.

Side on shot with no net

large.20240209_072518.jpg.c469d3988b9d51912f6d44f81af6637d.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 21/02/2024 at 19:59, Military Grade said:

I topped twice give it a week and Flip, then scrog with the stretch.

60x60 tent

Very lovely. What size pot is this please?

• Thanks 1