Help getting started please. autos in coco

GemimaPudd

Hello people

I am about to have a go at a small grow, 2 plants in a cupboard but I am struggling to get started as I keep reading contradictions just when I thought I was ready.

Heres what ive got

creme brulle

blue dream

jiffy pro 7 coco

2x 15l fabric pots + trays

PH pen

essential lab PH reducer

terra aquatic micro, grow and bloom

Telos led light

thermostst controlled extract

180w heater

clip fan

The room is setup and ready to go.

PH levels. Im in a hard water area and have read to aim for 5.8 is this correct? Others have said up to 6.7

So with the coco do i need to activate it? Ive been reading that you should soak it before planting anything but others dont mention it at all.

I have also read about using CalMag but I havent got any, should I get some? If yes, how would I use that?

Should I just throw seed in the coco and water and stop worrying?

Should I start with TA Micro from the get go or just water to start with? How do I know its time to change between the different feeds?

Last concern at the moment is heat. I have read to keep at 21c but others have had temps at 27c should I just aim for around constant 24c ?

Ok thats about it for now, any info would be really helpful so I can just get going.

Thanks a bunch

I can't help with how to use coco but to answer your question about temps, best keep it warm and cosy when using LEDs. 27C-29C for daytime temps. And best not to let it drop below 22C during lights off if not using a heat mat.

• Like 2

Some coco claims to be pre-washed, but I've always given mine a thorough soak through before I've used it. Easy enough to do, especially in fabric pots. Giving it a soak also helps to fill the bag out and get it to sit nicely.

As far as nutrients go, although coco is inert, your seed contains all the nutes it needs for a couple of weeks so you can just use plain water to get going but tbh, some light nutrients won't hurt. Use a third of the recommended dose and ramp it up as needed.

I aim for 6 PH in coco, but that's only because I like a nice round number 😁

Also, you didn't mention perlite. Although this also isn't a necessity in coco, I personally believe it to be better. Worth considering.

Don't stress too much about tiny details on your first grow, just enjoy it and get to know the plant

• Like 1

The jiffy pro coco is great :) 

No need to pre soak it :) 

It’s already pre buffered.

Atb

☯️

• Like 1

What size is yer cupboard?

Do you have some sort of extraction setup to help maintain the correct environment and deal with the smell?

Some people use a different product for early stages,

but just using a lower strength solution of the main feed is totally fine.

I’d definitely recommend the use of a root booster and Mycorrhizae with Trichoderma.

Once finished mixing feed,

you should check the pH and adjust to 5.8(or just leave it if it’s pretty close).

If this is gonna be a grow diary then I’ll be glad to help you along ;) 

Atb

☯️

• Like 1
2 hours ago, yan said:

Is your coco in a compressed block or loose in a bag like potting compost?

Its loose in a compost like bag.

2 hours ago, Clubs said:

I can't help with how to use coco but to answer your question about temps, best keep it warm and cosy when using LEDs. 27C-29C for daytime temps. And best not to let it drop below 22C during lights off if not using a heat mat.

Ok Clubs that has put my mind at ease as I know it can get hot in there, thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, darXound said:

Some coco claims to be pre-washed, but I've always given mine a thorough soak through before I've used it. Easy enough to do, especially in fabric pots. Giving it a soak also helps to fill the bag out and get it to sit nicely.

As far as nutrients go, although coco is inert, your seed contains all the nutes it needs for a couple of weeks so you can just use plain water to get going but tbh, some light nutrients won't hurt. Use a third of the recommended dose and ramp it up as needed.

I aim for 6 PH in coco, but that's only because I like a nice round number 😁

Also, you didn't mention perlite. Although this also isn't a necessity in coco, I personally believe it to be better. Worth considering.

Don't stress too much about tiny details on your first grow, just enjoy it and get to know the plant

Great stuff darXound, that means I can master the PH bit before I have to worry about adding the feed.

Not sure about the Perlite ill check, it does claim to be pre-washed and buffered and also suggests saturating the Coco with coir specific nutrients. Its stuff like this that enables my non start problem lol. Anyways thank you.

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

What size is yer cupboard?

Do you have some sort of extraction setup to help maintain the correct environment and deal with the smell?

Some people use a different product for early stages,

but just using a lower strength solution of the main feed is totally fine.

I’d definitely recommend the use of a root booster and Mycorrhizae with Trichoderma.

Once finished mixing feed,

you should check the pH and adjust to 5.8(or just leave it if it’s pretty close).

If this is gonna be a grow diary then I’ll be glad to help you along ;) 

Atb

☯️

Hey Shumroom thanks for your input, although previous threads of yours have been , shall we say not in favour of autos ? #Convert

Extraction is in place.

Root booster and Mycorrhizae with Trichoderma. Is this a solution I mix with the water? or do i mix this in with the coco before planting? Ill research this tonight.

Once I get started ill post a diary, its just getting started thats the problem :D

Thanks for input people, just getting those few little niggling things out the way is very helpful. Im sure ill find more to post about though!

• Like 3

lol people misunderstand me when it comes to autos and I don’t care to spend the time correcting folk,

I’d rather just walk away,

as it really doesn’t matter what people think of my thoughts on autos.

You say you’ve done your research so there’s no need for me to try to change your mind :) 

The reason I get involved is to learn and help others get the best from what they have available.

There’s lots of different makes of root booster,

like Biobizz Root Juice or Intense Nutrients Foundation etc.

Mycorrhizae and Trichoderma usually come as a powder which you can add to the planting area.

Atb 

☯️

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

lol people misunderstand me when it comes to autos and I don’t care to spend the time correcting folk,

I’d rather just walk away,

as it really doesn’t matter what people think of my thoughts on autos.

You say you’ve done your research so there’s no need for me to try to change your mind :) 

The reason I get involved is to learn and help others get the best from what they have available.

There’s lots of different makes of root booster,

like Biobizz Root Juice or Intense Nutrients Foundation etc.

Mycorrhizae and Trichoderma usually come as a powder which you can add to the planting area.

Atb 

☯️

Hey Shum I hope I haven't upset you lol, there wasn't an ounce of badness in that comment, just I have seen a few posts saying get photos, thats all.

Appreciate your help and very happy for you to tell me what im doing wrong.

Will look into these bits tonight and try and source from somewhere.

Thanks X

Edited by GemimaPudd
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, yan said:

One thing that’s not on your list which may be useful is an EC meter

Soil conductivity tester is that? 

Or did you mean PH tester, I have one that would be the PH Pen in my post.

57 minutes ago, GemimaPudd said:

Not sure about the Perlite ill check

Perlite is those little white bits you see in everyone's substrate. It helps drainage and retains air in the medium - as I said, not essential in coco as it already has those properties, but it will give you better drainage and airation and make the watering process a little more forgiving. Either way, you're gonna have something to smoke at the end of it 🙏🏼

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, darXound said:

Perlite is those little white bits you see in everyone's substrate. It helps drainage and retains air in the medium - as I said, not essential in coco as it already has those properties, but it will give you better drainage and airation and make the watering process a little more forgiving. Either way, you're gonna have something to smoke at the end of it 🙏🏼

Yep I hear you and to be honest I think its something you would benefit from having a bag handy, something you always use at some point.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GemimaPudd said:

Hey Shum I hope I haven't upset you lol

Not one bit :)  🌬️🍓

There’s no real need for perlite in coco,

I’ve made the mistake of buying coco 70:30 perlite before.

I’m still trying to use it up lol 

Some companies put it in coco because we’re used to it in compost to improve its drainage,

but the real reason is because it’s a cheap way to bulk up the coco and make more money from us :) 

Atb

☯️

• Like 1
8 hours ago, GemimaPudd said:

Soil conductivity tester is that? 

Or did you mean PH tester, I have one that would be the PH Pen in my post.

I think it stands for Electrical Conductivity. It’s used here to measure the strength of the nutrient solution going in and draining out of the pot. To help determine the correct strength to use. Some people don’t use them and get good results but generally people recommend them, especially when starting out. 

• Like 2