Heating Help

MySoulIsMine

Hoping someone could help me in this situation. I currently have a 60x60cm tent with a 250w hps and an 80x 80cm tent running led, i use the hps as a heat source and draw air from the smaller tent heating the led grow. it keeps it at a steady 27 degrees, perfect, but I am unable to grow anything in the hps tent because the heat just cooks them. I want to get a small led for that tent to grow autos and use for veg but I will lose out on all the heat.

What are people using to heat their small tents with? I have already got heat mats for the roots but it's the ambient temp I need to increase, I have tried the 50w tube heaters and they are shite they didn't even make a difference. I don't like the idea of using the fan type heaters in such a small space either and they are like 2kw I am aiming to keep runnings costs as low as possible, hopefully lower than the 250w running 24/7

Edited by MySoulIsMine
  • Like 1

Tube heaters on a thermostat,  you'll need more than a 50w one though , I use a 135w in a 80x80x160 and it's perfect, it also helps to have the fan on a speed controller.

Edited by mr rhino
  • Like 3

Ceramic heaters I using a 150 watt ceramic vivarium bulb but you can get them in bigger sizes and or with fans attached. Great for a 60x60 because they're so compact for how much heat they put out. Or as @mr rhinosaid tube heaters/oil rads. Another option would be a duct heater, but they're pretty expensive. 

One thing to keep in mind, a bigger heater won't cost more to run, people always seem to get confused about that. 

• Like 3

Thanks ! I have found a 120w tube heater that will fit into the 60cm tent I think I might try that. It would 2x 60w ones be more effective? 

1 hour ago, MySoulIsMine said:

Thanks ! I have found a 120w tube heater that will fit into the 60cm tent I think I might try that. It would 2x 60w ones be more effective? 

120w is 120w mate🤣

i'll second the ceramic fan heater, i have a 300w on a habistat thermostat, heating this way is very consistent, and you'll probably use less energy than tube heaters

i think many more people would use them if they realised how simple, compact and efficient they are

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

What are the efficiencies of a tube heater vs a ceramic heater?

BTU/Watts= ?

Atb

☯️

@Shumroom All electric heaters are like 99% efficient. Heat is the easiest thing to convert electricity into.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mr rhino said:

120w is 120w mate🤣

lol stoned moment there man. I ended up getting a 120w and a 60w tube heater I’ve got a thermostat too so il see how those get on. If they don’t do the job il give the ceramic ones a shot 

Theyl do fine, they're just a lot bigger in size for how much heat they produce, so you'll just have a bit less floor space. 

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Theyl do fine, they're just a lot bigger in size for how much heat they produce, so you'll just have a bit less floor space. 

It's always best to get the pots above the tube heaters, I have my pots sat on a pallet with tube heaters underneath.

• Like 1

Good shout @mr rhino not something I would ever think of in a 120cm tall tent but i bet it works best. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1