MDF box to silence inline fan?

LittleMissPuffit

Me again folks. Right well it seems the further along my grow gets the harder it is to keep humidity in check.....without turning up the ex fan and alerting the whole street! Tbh I'm not far off throwing the towel in I'm spending too much money and its one thing after another. 

I've seen people have built mdf boxes and lined them with anything from foam to mass loaded vinyl to acoustic spray foam. So my question is.....would it make that much of a difference to noise levels? I really don't want to spend any more money and it not work. Also it's a spider Farmer inline fan.....would it be safe to seal up in a box this way? 

Yeh just about ready to give up on this 🙄.

Thanks in advance 👍 

More speed/noise won't reduce your humidity if the humidity in the house is 70%. 

56 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

More speed/noise won't reduce your humidity if the humidity in the house is 70%. 

The room the tent is in sits at 40-45% it just seems I'm not pulling enough of it through the tent? I just didn't think this through properly for several reasons.....main one being the tent itself is located in a box room about 5 feet from neighbours wall. There is an attic hatch in the room though so possibly could shove it up there? Right now it's lights on and 26 degrees 54% in the tent and they're well into flower so starting to worry

Worry about what? 26C & 54% humidity is perfect. 

I have to run 2 dehumidifiers in my room, 6m x 3m, as ambient humidity is 100%. They pull about 8L per day and bring the humidity down to a constant 50-55% 

• Like 2

That’s a low humidity, if you can vent the tent into the attic, then it would be perfect. When outdoor humidity is high (currently 85-95% for me), anything below 65% in the tent is perfect and won’t need high speed, noisy extraction. 👍🏼🥳

• Like 1

Fans cool the motor with the air that flows through them so boxing them up is not a problem, it will quiten it but the sound still tends to go down the duct so people use acoustic ducting and sometimes silencers to cut that down.

I'm not sure where you extract to now but blowing the extraction air into the loft could cause problems with humidity and condensation that result in a mouldy loft or worse.

16 hours ago, LittleMissPuffit said:

would it make that much of a difference to noise levels?

no, i've wasted time making a box and filling with expanding foam, did jack shit for my noise issues. fast forward to a few weeks ago, i had a problem with my current extraction fan the other day, it was noisy, i forgot how old it was , so i swapped it for a newer one i had from another tent and bingo, silent.

the noise you are hearing, assuming the fan is decent is the air flow noise, a box will not hide that

• Like 1

Yeah as Ratty mentioned it'll most likely be air movement causing the noise , straighten any duct runs you have , the more slack there is the noisier it'll be.

Phonic trap and rigid ducting are options if you find yerself still struggling.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

I found the mdf box lined with acoustic foam worked well. However, making the outlet ducting a few sizes larger really cuts the noise down. The bulk of the noise comes from the ducting for a short distance at either end of the fan so if you were to build a longer housing box to incorporate this then it should keep things pretty quiet. There's always going to be some sound from it but it should be quiet enough not to alert the neighbours. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Or buy oversized fans (8-10”) and run them on low speed.. 

how are you getting that outside? a 10" hole in the wall??

19 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Worry about what? 26C & 54% humidity is perfect. 

I have to run 2 dehumidifiers in my room, 6m x 3m, as ambient humidity is 100%. They pull about 8L per day and bring the humidity down to a constant 50-55% 

Really? Seems everything I've read says the lower the better really 35-45%? 

11 hours ago, Slippy One said:

That’s a low humidity, if you can vent the tent into the attic, then it would be perfect. When outdoor humidity is high (currently 85-95% for me), anything below 65% in the tent is perfect and won’t need high speed, noisy extraction. 👍🏼🥳

Like I said to Peregrine.....really? Just worried about mould as grew a few autos in the greenhouse last year and was a complete nightmare! So below 65% is a winner? Phew there's me been stressing 🙄

7 hours ago, inceywinceyspider said:

Fans cool the motor with the air that flows through them so boxing them up is not a problem, it will quiten it but the sound still tends to go down the duct so people use acoustic ducting and sometimes silencers to cut that down.

I'm not sure where you extract to now but blowing the extraction air into the loft could cause problems with humidity and condensation that result in a mouldy loft or worse.

There's 4 airbricks up there I could attach a duct plate to? And tbh could prob lose the carbon filter too as my street generally stinks of weed anyways 😁

33 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Or buy oversized fans (8-10”) and run them on low speed.. 

Its a 6 inch fan in a 70x70cm tent......went a bit over kill! 🤣 Max speed I've needed so far is 3 and just managing noise levels.