Heat Mat Temp.

Island Lifer

I thought I'd try a single plant cold weather grow on a south facing window ledge, indoors. I recently bought a heat mat for germination but plan to keep it operating while the plant grows, only turning it off on sunny days.

Any recommendations for temperature settings? For germination,  seedling and growing plant? 

You'll need a thermostatic controller for the mat. Inkbird are selling them for around £20. I do 25C for germination then drop it to 23C for the rest of the cycle and it works well.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Clubs said:

You'll need a thermostatic controller for the mat. Inkbird are selling them for around £20. I do 25C for germination then drop it to 23C for the rest of the cycle and it works well.

Thanks, I'm put the seed in now. I noticed there is a separate 'sensor' connected to the mat, I wonder if this does the same job? I'll see how it goes once germination is over.

2 minutes ago, Island Lifer said:

I noticed there is a separate 'sensor' connected to the mat

Not seen this before. How do you read the temp? The thermo controller has a probe you can put in the soil and displays the temp reading on the screen. It also regulates the temperature as per your settings. If you run a heat mat without a controller then soil temps are likely going to be far too high for healthy growth. 

I posted a link to the heat mat but it needs approval by Admin, basically it has an integrated controller and sensor.

1 minute ago, Island Lifer said:

I posted a link to the heat mat but it needs approval by Admin, basically it has an integrated controller and sensor.

I'd be interested to see find out about if it does that. You won't be able to post links on the site but I'm sure you can upload a photo of it. 

Thanks, I'll post updates.

I see the separate sensor is for ambient / soil temp, I guess that's a safety feature, pop that in the soil?

• Like 1

@Clubs - @Island Lifer Hi guys. Could one of you provide the Inkbird/Lerways model no. for the device you are referencing above please ?

Just what I'm looking for but there appears to be numerous models - I will pick the wrong one for sure !

Thanks in advance. 

6 minutes ago, highdihigh2 said:

@Clubs - @Island Lifer Hi guys. Could one of you provide the Inkbird/Lerways model no. for the device you are referencing above please ?

Just what I'm looking for but there appears to be numerous models - I will pick the wrong one for sure !

Thanks in advance. 

Google..

lerway model yq128

The first result is the item sold on Amazon. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, highdihigh2 said:

Thanks in advance. 

It's a nice looking unit. And I like the fact that the mat and the controller use one plug. But to be honest, you'll get a separate mat and Inkbird for the same sort of price. The difference with the Inkbird will be the level of control you have, such as +/- tolerance (for temperature swings) day/night settings and dual plug sockets for extra heating or cooling. Depends what you're looking for really but I'd stick with buying them separately. 

Edited by Clubs
  • Like 1

@Clubs - @Island Lifer - my apologies, but the above was not what I thought it was - appears it's

a mat and controller. I already have 2 x heat mats - what I am looking for is a means of controlling the

temp of the 2 mats. As per above, there appears to be many Inkbird devices that might be adequate.

@Clubs could you advise as to which Inkbird devices might be appropriate for controlling 2 mats.

I don't mind having to buy an Inkbird for each of the existing mats if that's the only way to go.

Thanks for the advice already given.