Springtails for monkeypig and south London.

monkeypig

I know the party line for springtails is that they do no harm, but I beg to differ. I'm currently struggling with the little buggers in my coco (I'm 99% sure the fuckers come in in the coco, but that's another story.) and they are fucking up my younglings and I'm pretty sure they are affecting my yields too.

Due to being in the medium, I'm pretty sure only a "soil" drench is the way to go, but what to use? I've tried provanto with no success, I'm going to try hydrogen peroxide next but I have no idea how strong to go.

Has anyone actually had any success ridding themselves of these meddlesome beasts? If so , how? 

Yeah peroxide will work. Can't remember the dilution but you can Google it. prevention is better than cure though, there's probably something your doing that's making the population explode. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

there's probably something your doing that's making the population explode. 

Oh right , blame me 😛 you're not my ex missus are you?

I genuinely think they come in the coco, because I've had them occasionally without too many issues, but at the moment they're all over main and veg tent, and I don't want to take my cuts out of the prop before the veg tent is clear. short of that I'll kill the plants in the veg tent, sanitise and pot the cuts (in root riots) into coco.

I always had them in my veg cab but numbers would explode if i overwatered. I also had fungus gnats so wanted to get them sorted and treated them with tanlin and since then no gnats and no springtails. I wasn't so bothered about the springtails but they seemed to disappear along with the gnats, now it may have been down to correcting my watering technique and not the tanlin but they cleared off once treated. 

It says its for getting rid of gnats but maybe someone else has got rid of springtails with it, if not then it may have  just been a coincidence and being more precise with watering is what got rid of them.

lol 

I have zero experience with coco, you keep it wet all the time right? Pret sure springtails prefer constant moisture, so not sure how to stop them proliferating TBH. 

Diatomaceous earth is another one you could try but I've no experience with it and not sure if it would be suitable to use in coco.

How do you know they are fucking up your plants? Is there damage to the roots? It may be just down to a bit of overwatering.

If I had issues with soil bourne in coco I used aprus soil attack liquid. It works 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once I had Medusa tray, then Danish trays plumbed in, I stopped seeing them. 

• Like 1

Provado Vine weevil killer sorts out most soil bourne pests.... Not so much actual vine weevil but it ruins other inverts.

My mate swears by the Aptus soil attack fwiw.

:yinyang:

Just put your coco bag out in the garden and leave it for a couple of weeks Current subzero temps will soon sort them out but it seems a few cycles of rain will also cause them to breed and die out due to a lack of anything to eat.
Works a treat for me.

23 hours ago, Hazeytones said:

treated them with tanlin

thanks for the info, tanlin acquired and deployed. Seemed really expensive at £25 for 20ml, but dosage was 1 drop per 2 litres. with 1ml equating to 40 drops, so not as bad as it seemed. Let's just hope it works.  Also interesting to see on the bottle it can be used as a preventative with a weekly dose in with your feed.

• Like 1

Yeah it seems expensive but I think it makes about 2000l. I use it now as a preventative on my mums and my house plants.

I'm going to be putting my mums on a notill bed bed like @MindSoup and I don't use it in my beds incase it kills my mites but was wondering if I could apply it as the plants will be ontop of the bed in pots.

• Like 1

Pyrethrum 5EC at 2ml/l as a root drench annihilates springtails, one application will see to them.

• Thanks 1

@Hazeytones you could get away with spraying foliage with a pesticide, maybe cover the soil with something, but keep it away from the soil, even in the plants pots. 

I would argue that with enough roves and good watering technique you shouldn't need it anyway. 

• Like 1