Can-Filter Q-Max EC Inline Extraction Fan

junglehaze

I've been running a Can Iso-Max 8" extraction fan for well over 5 years 24/7 and looking to upgrade to an EC fan mainly to reduce electricity bills. Has been a very reliable and quiet setup but after moving to LED I think the AC fan is still keeping the bills high 🤔

Does anyone have any experience with the Q-Max? It seems most people here go for the new Systemair Revolution EC

Thanks

Never seen those before. Just in case you haven't heard of them, Systemair do a K series Ec fan (watch out as there is an Ac one too). That's what I'd go for if I was in the market for an ec fan.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at those but couldn't see that they do a silenced version?

The Q-max is a nice bit of kit, is no one here using one? It's not cheap, and the ec speed controller is not included, but according to all the blurb I would hope to recoup that in leccy savings over a year or so.

Do you really see the difference when switching from an AC to EC extraction fan?

• Like 1

I've not gone Ec, I replaced all my fans just as the Ec stuff was becoming popular, no reason other than they were so old and whilst I was changing the ducting it made sense to do the fans as they're behind the boarded sections in the loft. Nasty job I don't fancy doing for sometime, but next time it will be Ec fans. Tbf I'll probably be dead by then lol

I don't actually think you'd save that much in power depending on the speed controller you use. My ac fan uses 109w at full power, the ec equivalent uses 84w. As you turn the speed down an ec motor will use less power, an ac will only use less with certain types of speed controller, basically the cheap controllers slow the fan down but don't save electric (with ac fans). I paid a lot for mine, I believe it does save power.

I wasn't really worried about silenced fans, I don't thinnk they make much noise myself, especially as mine are in the loft, I think most noise comes from the air movement. How much power does that Q max use? I think it would take a very long time to get your money back.