Bounce back

stummer

Anyone else have it sometimes with a ph pen. Where you feel your adding more ph down. it ain’t moving as much as it should be? It ain’t an old pen I bought it fresh for this grow and still in veg. Got ph7 arriving today to recalibrate it but don’t even think it’s out. More like an error when adding more ph down but numbers ain’t moving. 

Had it a couple days ago and half thought something weren’t right but new pen so go with it. Anyway since then notice the girls look bit less happy and couple deformed looking leaves. This evening before work I gave em a feed and added right amount of ph down in terms of what I expect. Gonna recalibrate and hopefully they bounce back to looking happy as Larry again. Soon as they do they’re ready to flip tbh. Should bounce back and be sweet init? Only one feed with the ph being I assume wrong should be sweet.

Duno mate my ph pen is retired since i use ph perfect but have isue with EC bluelab pen ,it shows right value moment i pick it in tank then starts playing up,need to fix as well.

Try good cleaning,calibrate,check battery and seal so there is no leak,standard.

• Like 1

I haven't bothered bothering with pH for years now, I grow in coco and my tap water is approx 7.6 out the tap and by the time I add feed will bring it into a comfortable range, my plants are always fine, I felt I was probably doing more damage than good fucking around with the pH 

• Like 1

You won’t go wrong with some litmus paper, not as fancy but reliable 

• Like 1

The pen is more or less brand new. It’s not out, although I’ve recalibrated it tonight anyway. It was just like bit of an error and I was in a rush. I kind of felt I was adding more ph down than usual but the number wasn’t changing. It did in the end but deffo feel something was off. They aren’t looking on deaths door but I’d like to see em bounce back before I flip them. Gonna just throw some water through them with the correct ph and get a fair bit of run off. Hopefully sees everything looking sweet again. 

48 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

@stummer Do you store your pens in the proper storage solution, keeping the glass nib moist?

good point mate, yeah I actually do. Got a sponge in the lid and pour some that ph storage solution in it to stop it drying out. It was bit like an error with the pen. I recalibrated it but it wasn’t out anyway. Was just like it went dodgy and wasn’t changed despite adding extra drops of ph down. I know that’s a sign the pens fucked but I know I could of turned it off and started again and it would of been fine. I was just running late for work. I’ve literally had the pen less than 3 months. When I stuck it in the ph 7 before recalibrating it, it read fine and since has gone to the usual amount needed. It was more just like an error. Anyway touch wood the ladies seem happier looking again. Another week of everything good and be ready to flip

Temperature effects the reading, lower temps things take ages to settle at the correct pH, and higher temps will give false readings till it cools down ime. 

I'd bet the water was colder than usual.

• Like 2

Almost every  year @stummer you post same issues about ph and pens . Ph pens cheap ones last for a year if lucky even with storage probe solution.  I check mine every other month for drift with the calibration fluids etc. they usually go wrong quicker if this stuff isn’t done .

• Like 1

I use Growers Ark Coco. My tap water is 6.94. Once ive left it for 24 hours and added the nutes, i leave it to settle for an hour and its always 6. I only buy the £7 ph pen online. Once ive tested the water once then the feed mixed i dont need to test it again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arthur Mix said:

Almost every  year @stummer you post same issues about ph and pens . Ph pens cheap ones last for a year if lucky even with storage probe solution.  I check mine every other month for drift with the calibration fluids etc. they usually go wrong quicker if this stuff isn’t done .

the pens working though it was more just like an error. I know that makes it sound like the pen ain’t working lol . It’s reading on point and ain’t even 3 months old. It’s one those essentials ones so was about 47quid. Anyway they are looking happier once again. Give em another week then I’ll flip em.

• Like 1