Fire extinguisher

mikeydoughnut

Ey up. I’m after one of those ufo fire extinguishers. There’s 1kg ones around £25. This should be sufficient for a 1.2m2 eh?

Just ordered a wifi camera too. I hope the paranoia isn’t a portent. Felt really uneasy past couple of days and my luck only consists of the bad variety.

1kg powder will give you about a 6 second discharge if I remember my fire safety training well enough. Not a lot of experience with electrical fires, but they can be persistent, especially if anything battery powered is involved. Without knowing enough to say for sure, I'd be thinking that might be a bit small. Normally I'd think it's better than nothing, but the way I see it, if you're going to mitigate a risk you want to make sure it's done properly. 

• Like 1

I’ve been having a goosey and seen wall mounted ones. Might just get a couple and put them on opposing tent poles. Cheers @MindSoup much appreciated :) 

Always a good idea mate, dry powder makes a fooking mess but ok with most fires, co2 flood would be better and not harm plants maybe freeze them, but expensive. I had a N/L short on the cable into my shed a while back smelt burning for days and then lost power, 9 weeks into flower 😱 I had my dry powder out then 😁

5kg is the standard size for hand held which can put a car out used correctly, so 1kg should be fine in the tent. Glad all my kit is down the end of the garden, I'd get too paranoid if it was in the house 👍

• Like 1

Yeah mate, belt and braces, especially if you're doing it to calm the jitters.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Flamedodger said:

5kg is the standard size for hand held which can put a car out used correctly

Yeah TBF, in all my time doing marshalling I've never used a full one and we've had a few go up quite well. But that's when there's a human on the other end, if I was relying on a very simple device to do the job for me and my whole house/freedom is potentially at risk I would want some more redundancy.

Got a couple of " AFO " balls, myself. One's screwed to the wall, right here, above this rooms main 'plug station. Bank of six plugs. APC full of more. Router. Fused light /power switch. This computer. Plenty to choose from!

Other one's waiting in the kitchen. That one's due to go inside the grobe. That's encased in a shell of fire retardant 'Kingspan' stuff.

I'm just off down to my stables. I'd rather come back to a melted plug socket and a scene like something out of Eskimo Nell. Rather that than be faced with a conflagration, and my fire extinguisher somewhere amidst it all. Waiting for me to come and operate it.